I think my Microsoft account has been hacked

• Thread starter rgtr
  • Start date
In summary, the defaultuser100000 folder is a leftover from installing Windows and does not have any actual user account associated with it. It is created when accessing password recovery options and can be safely deleted without causing harm. The message about PIN not being available is a common anomaly in Windows that may eventually disappear. It is best not to stress over such issues and count oneself lucky if they resolve on their own.
rgtr
TL;DR Summary
I think my Microsoft account has been hacked because a new user has appeared. What do I do? Also when trying to login it said "Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again. " I got it working by turning on the wifi and resetting the pc a few times.

defaultuser100000 is not mine under C:\Users
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Google is your friend.

"Short story: It's meaningless. You can delete the folder. No harm will result now or in the future. It's not an actual user account. It's a leftover from installing Windows ... means nothing."
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...er100000/2073ad97-3859-4027-8d86-f69afcc9be09

"The defaultuser100000 folder is created when you click "I forgot my password" or "I forgot my PIN" in the lock screen. It creates a temporary user to let you access password recovery options."
https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/what-is-defaultuser100000.512988/

Likes Oldman too and rgtr
Thanks for the help. "What about Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again. "? The message eventually disappeared.

Trying to figure out why some anomaly happened in Windows is an exercise in futility that can can only lead to tears and heartbreak.

If it corrected itself, count yourself lucky and don't lose sleep over it. But YMMV.

Likes Oldman too, diogenesNY and rgtr
Thanks

Related to I think my Microsoft account has been hacked

1. How can I tell if my Microsoft account has been hacked?

If you suspect that your Microsoft account has been hacked, there are a few signs to look out for. These include receiving emails from your account that you did not send, noticing changes to your account information, or seeing unfamiliar activity in your account history.

2. What should I do if I think my Microsoft account has been hacked?

If you believe your Microsoft account has been hacked, the first thing you should do is change your password immediately. Make sure to choose a strong and unique password that is not easily guessed. You should also review your account settings and remove any unfamiliar devices or apps that have access to your account.

3. Can I recover my hacked Microsoft account?

Yes, it is possible to recover a hacked Microsoft account. If you are unable to access your account, you can go through the account recovery process by providing the necessary information to verify your identity. This may include providing a phone number or secondary email associated with your account.

4. How can I prevent my Microsoft account from being hacked in the future?

To prevent your Microsoft account from being hacked, it is important to take some precautions. These include using a strong and unique password, enabling two-factor authentication, and regularly reviewing your account activity. You should also be cautious when clicking on links or providing personal information online.

5. Will Microsoft contact me if my account has been hacked?

In most cases, Microsoft will not contact you directly if your account has been hacked. However, they may send you a notification if they detect suspicious activity on your account. It is important to be cautious of any emails or messages claiming to be from Microsoft and requesting personal information or account details.