I solving three problems (2 for friction, 1 in hooke's law)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving problems from a physics answer sheet, specifically numbers 4, 7, and 14. The individual is having trouble finding the answers and seeks guidance. They receive assistance with understanding the equations and substitutions needed to solve the problems.
accol
1. http://www.prep101.com/MCAT/102MCATPhysicsAnswers.pdf Numbers 4 7 and 14

2. As you can see the answers are already available, I'm just having trouble trying to get to them.

3. For number 4 I've tried plugging in the k value (8000) and distance (.05) into get a force value. I'm kind of lost from there as I've tried. Number 7 and 14 are kind of the same. However, for 7 I did get the answer when I plugged I plugged it into a Fc = v/r. So I did in fact get 10m/s but when I ignored the squared sign from the original equation (Fc = v^2/r). If I did do something correct then why did the squared sign disappear? For number 14 I don't really know how to tackle this if I don't have mass.

Once again if you can tell me how to reach the answers to one of these questions that would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

In 4 you have determined the force between the 2 blocks. That means that m2 is being accelerated with 400 N. Doesn't that give you then the acceleration for the whole system?

For 7 I'd say it's coincidence. Work out the equations for mv²/r = μmg. Solve for v and then plug in your numbers.

For 14 you don't need the mass. F = ma = μmg ... hence a = μg then solve by ordinary kinematic means.

Dude thanks so much...I have trouble remembering all the little substitutions you've showed me.

Thanks

Related to I solving three problems (2 for friction, 1 in hooke's law)

1. What is friction and how does it affect objects in motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It can either slow down or prevent the motion of an object. Friction is caused by irregularities on the surface of objects and the interlocking of these surfaces. It can also be affected by the weight of the objects and the type of surface they are in contact with.

2. How can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants such as oil or grease between moving surfaces. Another way to reduce friction is by using smoother materials for the surfaces in contact. Friction can also be eliminated by using wheels or rollers to reduce the surface area in contact.

3. What is Hooke's law and how is it applicable in solving problems?

Hooke's law states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is extended or compressed. This law is applicable in solving problems involving springs, such as calculating the force required to stretch or compress a spring to a certain length.