I need to understand partial derivatives.

I hope that helpsIn summary, the conversation is about finding the indicated partial derivative of a given equation. The individual seeking help has attempted to derive the equation but is unsure of how to proceed due to multiple terms. They receive guidance on how to apply the product rule and split the derivative into two parts. In a separate question, they receive assistance on understanding the product rule in general.
jedjj

Homework Statement

Find the indicated partial derivative.

[tex]u=e^{r\theta}\sin\theta; \frac{\partial^3u}{\partial r^2\partial\theta}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I started to derive [tex]u_{\theta}[/tex] and I attained

[tex]r*e^{r\theta}\sin\theta + e^{r\theta}\cos\theta[/tex]

But now I don't know how to take the derivative of the first equation, because there are 3 terms. It has been a few years since I have taken any math (I can assure you I won't take anymore breaks)

I just don't know where to go to attain [tex]u_{\theta r}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually there are two terms for you to derive, since your next objective is to derive with respect to r. In this process, you will treat [tex]\sin(\theta)[/tex] as a constant. Do you recall how to do product rule?

[Edit]Oh of course you do, you just did it on your first derivation lol. Like I said, treat sine term as constant, derive with respect to r and apply product rule.

thank you for the response. so it should be [tex]\theta e^{r\theta}\sin\theta + \theta e^{r\theta}\cos\theta[/tex] ?

If so I'm not sure how I attain an r anywhere from this. The answer in the back of the book is showing a sine term as having an r in front of it.

nevermind, I looked at it for just a few more seconds and found the mistake.
Thanks so much

Last edited:
you do it the same but remember that you need to split up that derivative into 2 derivatives. and then you do the derivative of each term with respect to r just like you did in the first time with respect to theta.

jedjj said:
thank you for the response. so it should be [tex]\theta e^{r\theta}\sin\theta + \theta e^{r\theta}\cos\theta[/tex] ?

If so I'm not sure how I attain an r anywhere from this. The answer in the back of the book is showing a sine term as having an r in front of it.

No, I think you might've made some simple mistake

[tex]r * \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(e^{r\theta}\sin\theta) + \frac{\partial}{\partial r}r * (e^{r\theta}\sin\theta)[/tex]

Do this for me and see what you get.

I have another question if you could help me please. I have a derivation done by my professor but I'm having problems getting this.

Question

verify that the function [tex]u=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}} [/tex] is a solution of the three-dimensional Laplace Equation [tex]u_{xx}+u_{yy}+u_{zz}=0[/tex].

Attempt at a solution

[tex]u={(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{-1/2}[/tex]
[tex]u_x=-{(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{-3/2}x[/tex]
[tex]u_{xx}=-3{(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{5/2}x^2-{(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{-3/2}[/tex]

He goes on to answer the question, but I do not understand where [tex]-{(x^2+y^2+z^2)}^{-3/2}[/tex] comes from. And if I didn't catch everything he wrote down, then I'm not seeing what I am missing. [edit] OR why it is there.

Please help.

Last edited:
In order to do the derivative of [tex]u_x[/tex] you need to use the product rule which gives you the [tex]u_{xx}[/tex]

Thank you so much. I really cannot comprehend product rule! :frown:

well it's exactly the same as the Calc I product rule just that now you take other variables like y,z in this case to be constants.

for your problem: say you had g(x,y,z)*h(x,y,z) and you need the derivative with respect to x. to solve it you need to use the product rule and you'll get:
(g(x,y,z)*h(x,y,z))'=g(x,y,z)*h'(x,y,z)+h(x,y,z)*g'(x,y,z)

in your case h(x,y,z)=-x and g(x,y,z)=[tex](x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2}[/tex]

Related to I need to understand partial derivatives.

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. They are essentially the derivatives of a function with multiple variables, but only one variable is taken into account at a time.

2. Why do we need to understand partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They allow us to analyze and optimize functions with multiple variables, which is essential in understanding complex systems and making accurate predictions.

3. How do you calculate partial derivatives?

To calculate a partial derivative, you first need to determine which variable you are taking the derivative with respect to. Then, treat all other variables as constants and use the same rules for taking derivatives as you would for a single variable function. For example, to find the partial derivative of f(x, y) with respect to x, you would treat y as a constant and use the power rule, product rule, or chain rule if necessary.

4. Can you give an example of a real-world application of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are commonly used in economics to analyze the relationship between two or more variables. For example, a company may use partial derivatives to determine the optimal price for a product based on factors such as production costs, demand, and competition.

5. Are there any common mistakes when working with partial derivatives?

One common mistake when calculating partial derivatives is forgetting to treat all other variables as constants. It's important to remember that when taking the partial derivative with respect to a specific variable, all other variables are considered to be fixed at a certain value. Another mistake is mixing up the order of the variables when taking multiple partial derivatives, which can lead to incorrect results.