I need information on centres of mass

In summary: The rolling motion of the can is affected by the distortion of its center of mass. The first revolution is the slowest because the oil is at the bottom and slows down the can, but as it reaches half a revolution, the oil is on top and the can speeds up. There is no formula for the center of mass in this setup, so you will have to use your knowledge of com to derive one. You can refer to a list of moments of inertia for more information. In summary, the tin can's rolling motion is influenced by the placement of the oil and there is no specific formula for its center of mass.
Thynazgul
Hi I am doing an assignment where I roll a tin can filled with car oil. This will affect its rolling because it distorts its centre of mass, resulting in an awkward rolling motion. I have already done the experiment, the first revolution is the slowest one by a lot because it slows down a lot when it's halfway through the revolution. Afterwards it speeds up by a lot. I assume this happens because when the tin can is released, all of the oil is at the bottom (it's not full) and as it reaches half a revolution the oil is on top. Moving it upwards slows down the tin can and then it accelerates because the oil is moving forwards. In any case, I would find any link or formula regarding centres of mass to be very useful. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider: if the tin can is full of oil, the center of mass is unaffected, but it's motion will still be affected.
If the oil is not very sticky, then it will not, in general, turn with the can. Think how water in the can would behave... wouldn't it stay mostly at the "bottom" with some getting dragged up the surface and falling down... and some sloshing about? You are better served to think of the situation in terms of conservation of angular momentum.

Per your question: there is no formula for the COM of your setup - you will have to use your knowledge of com to derive one.
You know the com of a hollow cylinder (the can) and for solid cylinders (the ends of the can) and you'll need to work out the com for how you want to model the oil part ...

There's a big list of moments of inertia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

Thank you

Related to I need information on centres of mass

What is the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

How is the centre of mass calculated?

The centre of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of an object's individual masses and their corresponding positions. This can be done using the formula: xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)

Why is the centre of mass important?

The centre of mass is important because it helps us understand how an object will behave when subjected to external forces. It also helps in determining the stability and equilibrium of an object.

How does the centre of mass differ from the centre of gravity?

The centre of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed, while the centre of gravity is the point at which the force of gravity acts on an object. They are usually at the same location, but can differ if there are external forces acting on the object.

What factors affect the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is affected by the distribution of an object's mass and the external forces acting on it. The shape and size of an object also play a role in determining its centre of mass.