I need assistance on this chem problem

In summary, if you are seeking help with homework, make sure to show your own effort on the problem before asking for assistance. Homework helpers will not do your homework for you, as they have already passed those classes and it's your turn to do the work. It is important to try solving the problem yourself and show where you got stuck in order to receive effective help. Simply posting the question without any effort shown will not be productive.
Equilibrium
Which has a higher density, oxygen or air? Prove by calculations, knowing that air is approximately 20% oxygen and 80% nitrogen and that 1 mol of any gas occupies 22.4liters at STP

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read the following;
Moonbear - FAQ said:
If you posted a question and it has gone unanswered, there are a few possible reasons:

1) Did you show your work? Homework helpers will not assist with any questions until you've shown your own effort on the problem. Remember, we help with homework, we don't do your homework. We already passed those classes; it's your turn to do so.
Doc Al - FAQ said:
If you are seeking help with problems that are giving you some heartburn, then you have come to the right place!

But if you are looking for someone to do your homework for you, then you have come to the wrong place.

Please, for your own sake, try your homework before you come here, and show us where you got stuck. Speaking for myself and the other Mentors, Advisors, and Homework Helpers: We already know how to do your problem. Us doing it for you accomplishes nothing.

So, post away--and show your work!

Based on the given information, we can calculate the density of both oxygen and air using the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

For oxygen, we know that it makes up 20% of air, so we can calculate the number of moles of oxygen present in 1 mol of air as: (20/100) x 1 mol = 0.2 mol. Therefore, the number of moles of oxygen in 22.4 liters of air at STP would be: (0.2 mol/1 mol) x 22.4 L = 4.48 L.

Using the ideal gas law, we can calculate the density of oxygen as: (0.2 mol x 0.0821 L atm/mol K x 273.15 K) / 22.4 L = 1.33 g/L.

For air, we know that it is composed of 80% nitrogen, which means that the number of moles of nitrogen present in 1 mol of air is: (80/100) x 1 mol = 0.8 mol. Therefore, the number of moles of nitrogen in 22.4 liters of air at STP would be: (0.8 mol/1 mol) x 22.4 L = 17.92 L.

Using the ideal gas law, we can calculate the density of nitrogen as: (0.8 mol x 0.0821 L atm/mol K x 273.15 K) / 22.4 L = 5.33 g/L.

Since air is a mixture of gases, we can calculate its density by adding the densities of oxygen and nitrogen together: 1.33 g/L + 5.33 g/L = 6.66 g/L.

Therefore, we can conclude that air has a higher density compared to oxygen, with air having a density of 6.66 g/L and oxygen having a density of 1.33 g/L. This is because air is a mixture of gases, including oxygen and nitrogen, and the density of a mixture is the sum of the densities of its individual components.

Related to I need assistance on this chem problem

1. What are the steps for solving this chemistry problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the given information and what is being asked for. Next, review any relevant concepts and equations. Finally, use the information and equations to solve for the unknown variable.

2. Can you provide an example of how to solve this type of chemistry problem?

Sure, let's say the problem involves finding the molar mass of a compound. First, write out the chemical formula and identify the atomic masses of each element. Then, multiply the atomic mass by the number of atoms present and add all the values together to get the molar mass.

3. How do I know which units to use in my calculations for this problem?

Units are an important aspect of chemistry problems and must be consistent throughout the calculations. Pay attention to the given units and make sure to convert them if necessary. Also, refer to the units of the final answer to ensure it is in the correct unit.

4. What do I do if I am stuck on a step in the problem?

If you are having trouble with a particular step in the problem, try going back to review the relevant concepts. You can also ask a classmate or instructor for assistance. Sometimes, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective can also be helpful.

5. How do I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by using estimation or by plugging your values back into the original equation to see if it balances. Additionally, you can compare your answer to the solution provided or ask for feedback from your instructor.