I need a green light bulb like this

In summary, Pengwino has a hilarious idea that needs a green light bulb in order to be exploded onto the world. He needs someone to help him find a green light bulb, as he's having trouble locating them. He also suggests using LED lights instead of traditional light bulbs.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I have a hilarious idea waiting to be exploded onto the world and I need a green light bulb. I have this bulb

t8suae.jpg

that is a 2.5V 0.3A incandescent bulb. I'm not entirely sure I know how to determine the type of base, but I could probably grab a micrometer and some diagrams and figure it out. Does anyone know where I could buy a green version of this bulb? How do they even make green versions of bulbs? Just colorizing the glass? Can something be sprayed over to make this white bulb a green one?

IDEAS ARE HAPPENING!

Do these come in compact flourescent versions as well? This one is in a light fixture that's powered by AA batteries and I'd love a bulb that's more efficient :)

I WUV U PF! DISCUSS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Just colorizing the glass? Can something be sprayed over to make this white bulb a green one?
'swhat I did for Christmas one year. I had strands of white lights and I wanted blue lights. So I used a magic marker on them. It's OK for a while. Won't stand up to much weathering. How long does your idea need to last?

There's like this new super crazy invention I've been heard about recently that's sort of like a light bulb but not. Its like really efficient, cheap, and comes in a lot of different colors. I think its called like a LED or something.

Sigh...they're called "lamps". You want bulbs? Go to a garden store.

http://www.lightexports.com/catalog/235.jpg

It's 12 volt but green. And it's has one of those LED thingies.

http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/the-2868/LED-Miniature-Screw-%28E10%29/Detail

Last edited by a moderator:
They have green compact flourescents at Home Depot. They are expensive.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100653135&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100653135&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&kwd=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping%2d%5f%2dgoogleads%2d%5f%2dpla%2d%5f%2d100653135&ci_gpa=pla

You could also do it the way that I did to get orange, red and blue for a fake fireplace. Talk to a band at your local bar. They're bound to have damaged or excess pieces of the gels that they use for their stage lights. You'll get the things for free, and they're guaranteed to not melt under 1,000 W at point-blank range.

Green paint. Or a marker.

lisab said:

lol too funny

Pengwino, you can't make a green light unless you get a green light from the government.

I think it's Rule 22. o:)

Jimmy Snyder said:
Does this help?
Green light bulbs.

I should have mentioned that it needs to go into the same base as the light bulb in the picture :P. That's the problem I'm having, it seems hard enough to find light bulbs that small in the first place.

DaveC426913 said:
'swhat I did for Christmas one year. I had strands of white lights and I wanted blue lights. So I used a magic marker on them. It's OK for a while. Won't stand up to much weathering. How long does your idea need to last?

10 minutes :)

Topher925 said:
There's like this new super crazy invention I've been heard about recently that's sort of like a light bulb but not. Its like really efficient, cheap, and comes in a lot of different colors. I think its called like a LED or something.

And doesn't fit my light bulb socket :P

lisab said:

Go away basil :P

tiny-tim said:
Pengwino, you can't make a green light unless you get a green light from the government.

I think it's Rule 22. o:)

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Pengwuino said:
it seems hard enough to find light bulbs that small in the first place.
Although you don't indicate the scale, that looks like a run-of-the-mill flashlight bulb to me. Most are pointy, but not all. The round ones that I've run across were usually on the back end of hand lanterns, under a red shield, and were flasher units. Not always, though.
You should be able to find them in your local hardware store in the battery display. (At least, that's where we Canucks stash them.) They come in regular or frosted, but not coloured.

DaveC426913 said:

You can also use LED lights for this. They will work well for you

Deaugh said:
You can also use LED lights for this. They will work well for you

Have you been reading the thread?

Related to I need a green light bulb like this

What is a green light bulb?

A green light bulb is a type of light bulb that emits a green hue when turned on. It is commonly used for decorative purposes or to create a specific ambiance in a room.

Where can I find a green light bulb?

You can find a green light bulb at most hardware stores, home improvement stores, and online retailers. It is important to check the specifications of the light bulb to ensure it is the correct size and wattage for your needs.

What are the benefits of using a green light bulb?

Using a green light bulb can have several benefits, such as creating a calming atmosphere, reducing eye strain, and saving energy compared to traditional incandescent bulbs. It can also be used for special effects in photography or film.

Is a green light bulb more expensive than a regular light bulb?

It depends on the type of green light bulb you are purchasing. LED green light bulbs may be more expensive upfront but have a longer lifespan and use less energy, making them more cost-effective in the long run. Fluorescent green light bulbs may be cheaper initially but have a shorter lifespan and use more energy.

Can I use a green light bulb as a night light?

Yes, you can use a green light bulb as a night light. However, it is important to choose a low-wattage bulb to avoid disrupting your sleep. It is also recommended to use a warm or soft green light to create a more calming and relaxing environment.