I in this question: Four Wires

• Thread starter OsDaJu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wires
I understand now. So the final answer is 3.313*10^-7 N.In summary, the conversation is about calculating the magnetic field and force components in a four-wire setup. The first part involves calculating the y component of the magnetic field at the center of the square, while the second part requires solving for the x component of the force on a wire segment due to the other three wires. The equations used are B = (mu*I)/(2*pi*r) and F = IL X B, and the solution involves superposition and taking into account the length of the wire segment. The final answer for the force component is 3.313*10^-7 N.
OsDaJu

Homework Statement

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/oscar888/?action=view&current=LONCAPA.gif

The four wires that lie at the corners of a square of side a= 3.50 cm are carrying equal currents i= 2.10 A into (+) or out of (-) the page, as shown in the picture.

Part A: Calculate the y component of the magnetic field at the center of the square. ( I already got the answer for this one) 4.80×10-5 T

Part B: Calculate the x-component of the force on a 1.0-cm long piece of the lower right-hand wire, due to the other three wires.

Homework Equations

B=(mu*I)/(2*pi*r)
mu=4*pi*a0^-7 T*m/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help in the second part. I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
OsDaJu said:
I need help in the second part. I don't know where to start.

Welcome to PF.

You will need to solve by superposition for the B field as in a).

Then you will want to take into account the length of the wire segment in determining the force

F = IL X B

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfor.html#c1

Okay, so I know that B is always perpendicular to Force so B2 is zero in the y direction, F2 is zero in the x direction.
then the superposition is:

B total = B1y + B3y
B total = μI/(2π0.0350)*1/√2 + μI/(2π0.0350)
B total = 2.0485*10^-5 T

Using the force formula,

F = BIL
=2.0485*10^-5 *2.1*0.01= 4.3019*10^-7 N

I did all of this and I got the wrong answer, what am I missing??

P.S: sorry for the delay I had a busy week.

OsDaJu said:
Okay, so I know that B is always perpendicular to Force so B2 is zero in the y direction, F2 is zero in the x direction.
then the superposition is:

B total = B1y + B3y
B total = μI/(2π0.0350)*1/√2 + μI/(2π0.0350)
B total = 2.0485*10^-5 T

Using the force formula,

F = BIL
=2.0485*10^-5 *2.1*0.01= 4.3019*10^-7 N

I did all of this and I got the wrong answer, what am I missing??

P.S: sorry for the delay I had a busy week.

What you want is the x-directed force component.

The B-Field is a vector field, and the force component from the diagonal has a cos45 factor still needed to normalize it to x.

Btotal = 1.2 * 10-5 + (.707)(.8 * 10-5)

Thank you!

Related to I in this question: Four Wires

1. What does "I" refer to in this question: Four Wires?

The "I" in this question refers to the person asking the question, as it is a first person pronoun.

2. Can you provide more context for the question "Four Wires"?

Without more information, it is difficult to determine the exact meaning of the question "Four Wires." It could refer to a variety of things, such as a specific electrical wiring situation or a puzzle or riddle involving four wires.

3. Is "Four Wires" a common phrase or concept in the field of science?

No, "Four Wires" is not a commonly used phrase or concept in the field of science. It may be more commonly used in fields such as engineering or electrical work.

4. What are the potential implications of the question "Four Wires" in a scientific context?

The implications of the question "Four Wires" in a scientific context will depend on the specific situation or topic being addressed. It could potentially relate to the wiring of a circuit, the number of connections needed for an experiment, or other factors.

5. Can you provide an example of a scientific question that would use the phrase "Four Wires"?

Yes, an example of a scientific question that could use the phrase "Four Wires" is, "How does the number of wires in a circuit affect the flow of electricity?"