I hope that helps! Proof of Definite Integral??

In summary, the definite integral is the result of using an infinite amount of Riemann sums to calculate the area under a curve. This is possible because integration allows for the area to be calculated without having to manually add up the area of each Riemann sum. However, there are strict conditions that must be met for this to be possible, such as having an analytically differentiable and continuous anti-derivative.
Calculuser
Proof of Definite Integral??

Riemann Sum helps us to find the are under a curve.But I couldn't understand connection between Riemann Sum and Definite Integral.I mean;

[itex]\int^{b}_{a}f(x).dx=F(b)-F(a)[/itex] How can I prove F(b)-F(a) in definite integral??

Thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Well, the connection between the two is that the definite integral is essentially using an infinite amount of Riemann sums to calculate the area under a curve. Integration allows for the area to be calculated without having to add up the area of each Riemann sum manually.

Now, [itex]\int^{b}_{a}f(x)dx[/itex] is equal to [itex]F(b)-F(a)[/itex] because [itex]F(b)[/itex] calculates the area from 0 to b, [itex]F(a)[/itex] calculates the are from 0 to a. Subtracting these two values will cut the area [itex]F(a)[/itex] calculated from [itex]F(b)[/itex] leaving just the area from a to b.

I hope I was able to provide the information that you needed for you to finish your proof.

Calculuser said:
Riemann Sum helps us to find the are under a curve.But I couldn't understand connection between Riemann Sum and Definite Integral.I mean;

[itex]\int^{b}_{a}f(x).dx=F(b)-F(a)[/itex] How can I prove F(b)-F(a) in definite integral??

Thanks..

Hey Calculuser and welcome to the forums.

You actually can't do this for any f(x): it needs to what is called "Riemann-Integrable" for this to happen.

There are strict conditions that can be representing through formal mathematical statements but the basic idea is that your anti-derivative must be analytically differentiable and continuous everywhere across the domain (i.e. from a to b).

If this is not the case, then you have to either separate your intervals into ones where this happens or use a different integration technique (like for when you are modelling things like Brownian motion).

Related to I hope that helps! Proof of Definite Integral??

What is the definition of a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has two limits, a lower limit and an upper limit, which define the boundaries of the area to be calculated.

How do you find the value of a definite integral?

To find the value of a definite integral, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function f(x) can be calculated by evaluating its antiderivative F(x) at the upper and lower limits and subtracting the results.

What is the purpose of using a definite integral?

A definite integral is used to find the area under a curve on a graph, which can have many real-world applications. It can also be used to calculate the total displacement of an object over a given time interval, as well as the total accumulated change in a quantity over time.

What are the properties of a definite integral?

The properties of a definite integral include linearity, where the integral of a sum of functions is equal to the sum of the integrals of each individual function, and the constant multiple rule, where a constant can be factored out of the integral. It also follows the symmetry property, where the integral from a to b is equal to the negative integral from b to a.

Can definite integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, definite integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the total distance traveled by an object, or finding the average value of a function to determine average temperature or population growth over a given time interval.