I have two straight Line at a distance from one another. Need to connect them

In summary, the conversation is about connecting two straight lines in MATLAB and making the plot appear continuous. One way to achieve this is by using the 'smooth' function, but it requires the curve fitting toolbox. Another option is to use a cubic spline for polynominal interpolation, which can be done without the toolbox.
iamazad24
Hi,

I am trying to connect two straight lines. I want the connecting line between them is round, so that altogether the total plot seems continuous. Can anyone help me how to do it in matlab.

:shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

If you have an x-y plot and you want to smooth it out so it's not as disjointed, there're probably two ways of doing that: using the 'smooth' function, and doing a spline.

Unfortunately, unless you have the curve fitting toolbox, you can't use the smooth function:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/curvefit/smooth.html

Nevertheless, you can still use a cubic spline (polynominal interpolation) to determine a smoothed function which you can then plot (first link goes to another forum where somebody's asking a similar question, and the second to the actual MATLAB documentation page, along with examples):
http://www.dsprelated.com/groups/matlab/show/4050.php
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/spline.html

Related to I have two straight Line at a distance from one another. Need to connect them

What is the most efficient way to connect two straight lines at a distance from one another?

The most efficient way to connect two straight lines at a distance from one another is to use a ruler or straight edge to draw a line connecting the two points. This will ensure the line is straight and the shortest distance between the two points.

Can I use a curve or arc to connect the two lines instead of a straight line?

It is possible to use a curve or arc to connect the two lines, but this may not be the most efficient method. If the goal is to create the shortest distance between the two points, a straight line would be the best option. However, if aesthetic or design considerations are a factor, then a curve or arc may be more appropriate.

How can I ensure the connection between the two lines is precise and accurate?

To ensure precision and accuracy when connecting two lines, it is important to use a ruler or straight edge to draw the line and to measure the distance between the two points accurately. Double-checking the measurements and using a compass or protractor can also help ensure the connection is precise.

Is there a mathematical formula or method I can use to connect the two lines?

Yes, there are mathematical formulas and methods that can be used to connect two lines at a distance from one another. The most common is the Pythagorean Theorem, which can be used to calculate the length of the connecting line. Other methods, such as trigonometry and geometry, can also be used depending on the specific situation.

Are there any tools or software that can assist in connecting two lines at a distance?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist in connecting two lines at a distance. These include drafting tools, such as rulers and straight edges, as well as computer-aided design (CAD) software which can help create precise and accurate connections between lines.