I have never seen a Grassmann Number

• Thread starter the_pulp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grassmann
In summary, a Grassmann number is a mathematical concept used in the study of quantum mechanics, particularly in the field of supersymmetry. It is a type of number that follows a set of rules, including anti-commutativity, and is used to represent fermionic operators. Grassmann numbers have important applications in theoretical physics and have been used in various models and theories, but they are not commonly seen in everyday mathematics.
the_pulp
Is there a way to represent Grassmann Numbers from previously known mathematical entities? Something like when it is said, for "C", that z=x+i*y and i^2=-1 or that z = [a -b; b a] with the usual rules of matrix sum and multiplication?

It is pretty strange to me that it is so hard to find books or pdfs on line about it. has someone ever demonstrated that these entities even exist? Is fermionic math supported over nothing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever thought about asking yourself why they are called 'Grassmann' numbers in the first place?

Have you ever thought about asking yourself why they are called 'Grassmann' numbers in the first place?

Yes, for 1 second, and I found that there was a guy called grassmann that invented this object. Why are you asking? (Im perceiving sarcasm)

Just to let you know, before posting, I have been reading wikipedia and some books, and there is something called Grassmann Algebra and wedge product, which seems to be the mathematical construction I am looking for. But this wedge product is not exactly anticommuting, In fact it is conmuting or anticommuting depending on the grade of the elements of the Grassmann Algebra we are "wedge multiplying". So, is there any set of objects that, independently of which pair of objects we use, the product anticonmutes?

Thanks!

I think it's valid to view Grassmann numbers as simply a convenient mathematical trick for encoding the rules for calculating certain things in QFT. Observables are always real numbers, not Grassmann numbers. Grassmann numbers "exist" in the sense that they can be consistently defined as abstract objects satisfying a certain set of rules. Once you've defined what you mean by an integral over a Grassmann variable, it's possible to represent the rules for calculating observables for processes involving fermions in terms of a path integral over Grassmann-valued fields. But this is just a formal technique for computing some real number.

The_Duck said:
Observables are always real numbers
That (plus some other details) is just the definition of the technical term. This fact doesn't have any significance beyond technical convenience, and it's roughly analogous to the fact it's sometimes convenient to compute/manipulate a complex number in terms of its real and imaginary parts, and to a lesser extent analogous to the fact it's occasionally convenient to compute/manipulate vectors and linear transformations in terms of their coordinates with respect to a basis.

the_pulp said:
Yes, for 1 second, and I found that there was a guy called grassmann that invented this object. Why are you asking? (Im perceiving sarcasm)

Just to let you know, before posting, I have been reading wikipedia and some books, and there is something called Grassmann Algebra and wedge product, which seems to be the mathematical construction I am looking for. But this wedge product is not exactly anticommuting, In fact it is conmuting or anticommuting depending on the grade of the elements of the Grassmann Algebra we are "wedge multiplying". So, is there any set of objects that, independently of which pair of objects we use, the product anticonmutes?

Thanks!

The Grassmann numbers are precisely the objects that anticommute amongst themselves. Their introduction is analogous to introducing ##i## satisfying ##i^2=-1## to generate complex numbers. We add abstract objects that satisfy ##\theta_i\theta_j = - \theta_j\theta_i ## to ordinary vector spaces to obtain Grassmann algebras.

At http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grassmann_number#Matrix_representations a representation of Grassmann numbers using matrices is given, but this is rarely used in physics examples.

the_pulp said:
there is something called Grassmann Algebra and wedge product, which seems to be the mathematical construction I am looking for. But this wedge product is not exactly anticommuting, In fact it is conmuting or anticommuting depending on the grade of the elements of the Grassmann Algebra we are "wedge multiplying".

Precisely the same happens for Grassmann numbers. If a, b, c anticommute with each other then, necessarily, ab, ac, and bc commute with a,b,c.

More generally, in an arbitrary associative algebra, the product of an even number of mutually anticommuting elements commutes with everything, whereas the products an odd number of mutually anticommuting elements anticommute with each other (but not with the even products). This is why Grassmann numbers form a so-called graded algebra, with complementary even and odd subspaces, such that odd elements anticommute with each other, whereas even elements commute with everything.

Related to I have never seen a Grassmann Number

1. What is a Grassmann Number?

A Grassmann number is a type of mathematical object that is used in the field of algebraic geometry. It is a type of number that can represent the concept of volume and is useful in describing geometric properties of space.

2. How is a Grassmann Number different from a regular number?

A Grassmann number is different from a regular number because it does not behave like a typical number in terms of multiplication and addition. Instead, it follows a different set of rules known as the Grassmann algebra.

3. What are some applications of Grassmann Numbers?

Grassmann numbers have applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering. They are used to describe quantum mechanics, geometric algebra, and computer graphics, among others.

4. Can anyone understand Grassmann Numbers, or is it only for mathematicians?

While understanding the full scope of Grassmann numbers may require advanced mathematical knowledge, the concept can be grasped by anyone with a basic understanding of algebra and geometry. There are also many resources available for those who want to learn more about this topic.

5. How is "I have never seen a Grassmann Number" relevant to everyday life?

While Grassmann numbers may not have a direct impact on our daily lives, they are essential in various fields of study that have practical applications, such as computer science and physics. They also provide a deeper understanding of the geometric properties of space, which can be seen in everyday objects and structures.