I have my acids and bases test tomorrow, and i with a few types of problems

In summary, on an acids and bases test, you can expect to encounter problems that involve calculating pH and pOH, identifying conjugate acid-base pairs, balancing chemical equations, and determining acid and base strength. To prepare for the test, review key concepts and equations, practice solving problems, and create study aids. Common mistakes to avoid include forgetting coefficients, confusing strong and weak acids/bases, and not converting units correctly. A quick way to determine if a substance is an acid or base is to look at its formula, but it is important to understand the definitions and properties. There are various methods and strategies for solving acid and base problems, such as neutralization and using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. It is crucial to practice and
pakmingki
im looking at some review problems my teacher gave me today, and i can pretty much do most of them. however, there is this one i really have no idea what to do. Its a 2 part problem.

1a.What is the pH of a 1000 ml of a 0.1 M acetic acid solution, given pKa = 4.8?
1b. what is the pH of 1000ml of 0.1 M acetic acid solution after you have added 5 ml of 10.0 M NaOH, assuming net volume change is negligible

so, for the first part, i think i got it wrong. But here is what i did.
First i found the Ka with
pKa = 4.8 = -log[Ka]
10^-4.8 = Ka
Ka = 1.58 x 10^5

so then i wrote out the equilibrium reaction.
C2H4O2 + H20 > C2H3O2 + H30
where everything is aqueous except H20, and the products on the right side are - and + ions, respectively.
so then
Ka = [x][x]/0.1 - x, where is x is the concentration of H30 and C2H3O2.
solving for x gives 1.25 * 10^-3

so, [Hplus] = 1.25 * 10^-3 M
then, i did this step
(1.25 x 10^-3 Hplus ions/L) * 1000ml * 1L/1000ml gives 1.25 x 10^-3 Hplus ions

pH = -log[Hplus] = 2.903

i really need help, I am pretty sure i made some erroneous steps.

and for part b, i really didnt have any idea how to start. I just started by finding the number of mols of OHminus, but i don't think that does anything.
So, can someone help me do both parts?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Pakmingki,
You essentially have the right idea. In part A, you obtain about the same result whether a more full quadratic form is used or the simplification. In part B, the concentration of acid is essentially cut in half.

This is a BASIC program which can give the results that you want; if you want a more full explanation, write a private message:
let Ka=1.58*10^(-5)
let M=0.1
'note, let M=0.05 if want to
'cut concentration in half, as if
'added 5ml of 10M NaOH

let x=Ka+sqr(Ka*Ka+4*M*Ka)
let x=x/2

pH=-1*log(x)/log(10)

print "concentration ";x
print "pH ";pH

END
You get a pH of about 3 for the addition of caustic soda, a pH of a bit less than 3 for just the acid before the addition of caustic soda.

Excuse me, but what I wrote for part B may be inaccurate. Better, to take this form instead for the addition of NaOH:

if x= molarity of hydronium,
Fs = formal salt concentration
Fa = formal acid concentration

x(Fs + x)/(Fa - x) = Ka

Now, just find x; this is a quadratic equation, so no real trouble. My little BASIC program is fine for little or no salt, but is not necessarily so good when a large portion of salt (neutralized acid) is present.

Related to I have my acids and bases test tomorrow, and i with a few types of problems

1. What types of problems should I expect on my acids and bases test?

On your acids and bases test, you can expect to encounter various types of problems such as calculating pH and pOH, identifying conjugate acid-base pairs, balancing chemical equations involving acids and bases, and determining the strength of acids and bases based on their dissociation constants.

2. How can I prepare for my acids and bases test?

To prepare for your acids and bases test, it is important to review the key concepts and equations related to acids and bases. Practice solving different types of problems, and make sure to understand the underlying principles and theories. It may also be helpful to create flashcards or study guides to aid in your review.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid on an acids and bases test?

Some common mistakes to avoid on an acids and bases test include forgetting to account for the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation, confusing strong and weak acids/bases, and forgetting to convert between units (e.g. from grams to moles). It is also important to pay attention to units and significant figures when calculating pH or pOH.

4. How can I quickly determine if a substance is an acid or a base?

A quick way to determine if a substance is an acid or a base is to look at its chemical formula. Acids typically start with H (hydrogen) and end with an anion, while bases usually contain OH (hydroxide) as part of their formula. However, this is not always the case, so it is important to understand the definitions and properties of acids and bases.

5. Is there a specific method or strategy for solving acid and base problems?

Yes, there are several methods and strategies that can be used to solve acid and base problems. One approach is to use the concept of neutralization, where the number of moles of H+ ions equals the number of moles of OH- ions. Another method is to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the pH or pOH of a solution. It is important to practice and find the method that works best for you.