I have few doubts regarding short circuit test of transformers.

In summary,The rated output of a transformer signifies the maximum power the transformer can safely handle. However, this power is not always the same on both sides. Rated current depends mainly on the size and number of the windings, while rated power and rated voltage are independent quantities. Rated current can be greater than rated voltage in a short circuit test, but power is still maintained at approximately the same level.
nik.jay.hil
Hi,
What does rated output in a transformer signify?
Is power same(or almost same) on both sides?
In short circuit test, we apply reduced voltage to HV winding so as to circulate rated current in HV. This will cause rated current to flow in LV. But as per definiton of rated current, rated current=(rated output/rated voltage). So how come rated current flow with reduced voltage?Is power maintained constant in this case? If power is maintained constant then what about open circuit test?
Somebody pls help me. I m terribly confused. I might sound stupid but I really want to clear this..

Engineering news on Phys.org
nik.jay.hil said:
Hi,
What does rated output in a transformer signify?
The maximum power the transformer can safely handle. I have heard of instances where high power and small size were needed in a transformer, so it was intentionally designed to run hot.

Is power same(or almost same) on both sides?
Yes, except for the losses in the transformer.

But as per definition of rated current, rated current=(rated output/rated voltage).
This is not true. Unlike the relationship between voltage, current and power in a circuit, rated current, rated power and rated voltage are three independent quantities.
Rated current depends mainly on the size and number of the windings.

Rated power depends on the amount of voltage times the amount of current the transformer is passing and also on how well the transformer is able to dissipate the heat.

Rated voltage depends on the electrical insulation of the windings.

It is very likely that if you put the rated voltage and rated current into a transformer, you will exceed the rated power. Transformers are designed this way in order not to be too big. So the first rating (current, voltage or power) of the transformer that you reach is the maximum that the transformer should handle.

So how come rated current flow with reduced voltage?Is power maintained constant in this case? If power is maintained constant then what about open circuit test?
Somebody pls help me. I m terribly confused. I might sound stupid but I really want to clear this..
Since the three ratings are independent of each other, each must be tested independently. If you are testing for rated current, power is not necessarily maintained constant. An open circuit test would be used to measure rated voltage and there may no current flowing and the only power dissipated would be core losses.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Sir.. Helped me a lot..
Just 1 more question- In SC and OC tests, is power maintained the same on both sides?

In a short circuit test there will be losses but ignoring the losses, the power will be approximately the same on both sides.

In an open circuit test with the secondary open, there can be no power dissipation in the secondary. There still will be some power dissipation in the primary because of losses.

Thanku so much Sir..

Related to I have few doubts regarding short circuit test of transformers.

1. What is the purpose of a short circuit test on transformers?

The purpose of a short circuit test on transformers is to determine the impedance and losses of the transformer when subjected to a short circuit condition. This information is crucial in designing and rating transformers for specific applications.

2. How is a short circuit test conducted on transformers?

A short circuit test is conducted by applying a low voltage to the primary winding of the transformer and short circuiting the secondary winding. The output voltage and current are then measured, and the impedance and losses are calculated.

3. What are the advantages of performing a short circuit test on transformers?

Performing a short circuit test on transformers allows for accurate determination of the transformer's impedance and losses, which are essential in designing and rating the transformer for specific applications. It also helps in identifying any potential issues that may arise during a short circuit event.

4. Can a short circuit test be performed on all types of transformers?

Yes, a short circuit test can be performed on all types of transformers as long as they have a low voltage winding and a high voltage winding. However, the test may vary slightly depending on the type of transformer, such as single-phase or three-phase.

5. Is a short circuit test the same as an open circuit test?

No, a short circuit test and an open circuit test are two different tests conducted on transformers. A short circuit test determines the impedance and losses under a short circuit condition, while an open circuit test determines the magnetizing current and losses under no-load conditions.