I have a question about conservation of energy

In summary, the energy is transferred from the cue stick to the 8 ball, to the 8 ball to the wall, and to the environment.
FernandoRocker
I have a question about conservation of energy...

So, I have a question about conservation of energy. I just want a detailed example of the path of the energy in some regular scenarios and the reach of it.

For example...

When playing pool, the cue ball is shot at a stationary 8 ball. The cue ball now has kinetic energy. When the cue ball hits the 8 ball, the kinetic energy transfers from the cue ball to the 8 ball, sending the 8 ball into motion. The cue ball loses energy because the energy it had has been transferred to the 8 ball, so the cue ball slows down.

So, now the 8 ball is in motion and then it hit a wall from the pool table and it stops. What happened to that energy?

I mean, I often see examples showing a simple transition.

Can you please describe more energy transitions in that example... let's say... 10?

EDIT: Sorry for my English... not my primary language.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 8 ball hit an elastic object that absorbed the energy over a longer time then bal-ball inelastic collisions.

motion of the molecular components.

For example...

Energy from the cue stick > kinetic energy to the cue ball > kinetic energy to the 8 ball > energy transferred to the wall of the pool table? What kind? > ? > ? > ?

kinetic energy of the molecular components. Just think of the wall as it is composed with a huge number of billiard balls.

GiuseppeR7 said:
kinetic energy of the molecular components
OK. Then what happens to that kinetic energy of the molecular components?

since energy is conserved and from thermodynamics we can say that this is equivalent to saying that we increase the temperature of the wall. This motion of the molecules is then eventually transferred to the environment. The details can be argued from a field called statistical mechanics.

All energy transfer results in heat. Take the original kinetic energy equate it to heat then subtract each collision. The final result is the heat death of the universe. Entropy will not be denied.

Related to I have a question about conservation of energy

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also allows us to find ways to make our use of energy more efficient and sustainable.

3. What are some examples of conservation of energy in everyday life?

Examples of conservation of energy in everyday life include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a ball rolling down a hill, or turning on a light switch. In each of these examples, the potential energy of the object is converted into kinetic energy.

4. How does the law of conservation of energy relate to other laws of physics?

The law of conservation of energy is closely related to the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed in a closed system. It is also related to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

5. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of energy?

There are no known exceptions to the law of conservation of energy. However, in some situations, it may appear that energy is being created or destroyed, but in reality, it is just being transferred or transformed in a way that is not immediately apparent. This is known as the principle of energy conservation.