I have a problem on my MCNP5 cross-section library

In summary, the speaker is having trouble running input files with materials containing elements with atomic numbers 34000 and 52000 in their MCNP5 cross-section library. They suggest building the materials using individual isotopes or finding a substitute material. It is also possible to search for the data online and use the isotope library utilities in MCNP to add it to the library.
Islam Nabil
TL;DR Summary
i have a problem on my MCNP5 cross-section library
I have a problem with my MCNP5 cross-section library. Se and Te elements with atomic numbers; 34000 and 52000, respectively, have no neutron cross-section stored, either neutron contentious or neutron other, in the library, and so I can't run any input file that has any material of them because of the neutron cross-section.!!

Engineering news on Phys.org
34000 and 52000 indicate the natural form of these elements. That is, it is asking MCNP to look for the natural isotope distribution library for Se and Te. Several of the natural substances are not there while the individual isotopes are there.

Depending what is in your library, you have some choices. If the individual isotopes are there, you could build your material out of them. So, Se for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium

You could look in your lib for 34074. 34076, 34077, 34078, 34080, and 34082. If they are all there you can build natural Se out of them. Pretty close, anyway.

If those isotopes are not in your library, you can try to find a material that you can substitute. That's a fairly complicated thing. And it's difficult to be confident if you don't have any data to guide you. Maybe if only some of those isotopes are present, you could build a partial model, maybe using the more common isotopes.

If you are keen, and need these isotopes, and you have the time, you could see if the data exists somewhere on line. Then you could learn the isotope library utils that come with MCNP. NJOY is one of them.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Alex A

Related to I have a problem on my MCNP5 cross-section library

1. What is a cross-section library in MCNP5?

A cross-section library in MCNP5 is a collection of data that describes the probability of a nuclear reaction occurring for a given material and energy. This data is used in the Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) code to simulate the transport of particles through materials.

2. How do I know if there is a problem with my MCNP5 cross-section library?

Some common signs of a problem with your MCNP5 cross-section library include unexpected results or errors in your simulations, or discrepancies between your results and experimental data. You may also notice inconsistencies in your simulations when using different cross-section data sets.

3. How can I troubleshoot issues with my MCNP5 cross-section library?

One way to troubleshoot issues with your MCNP5 cross-section library is to compare your results with published data or results from other simulations. You can also check for any updates or revisions to the cross-section data you are using and make sure it is appropriate for your specific application.

4. Can I create my own cross-section library for MCNP5?

Yes, you can create your own cross-section library for MCNP5 using the MCNPX data processing code. This allows you to customize the data for your specific needs and materials. However, it is important to validate your custom library and compare it with existing data sets to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any resources available for troubleshooting MCNP5 cross-section library problems?

Yes, there are several resources available for troubleshooting MCNP5 cross-section library problems. The MCNP5 user manual and the MCNPX website provide information on creating and using cross-section libraries, as well as tips for troubleshooting common issues. Additionally, there are online forums and user groups where you can ask for help and advice from experienced MCNP users.