I have a hertzian dipole at the origin

In conclusion, the Hertzian dipole and its associated equations provide a simplified model for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and the orientation of the loop plays a crucial role in detecting the signal. In summary, the Hertzian dipole model is used to describe the behavior of an antenna that radiates electromagnetic waves, and the orientation of a loop in relation to the dipole affects the detection of the signal. The equation for the magnetic field generated by the dipole depends on the orientation of the loop, and the loop must be oriented perpendicular to the z-axis to detect a maximum signal.
Roodles01

Homework Statement

I have a hertzian dipole at the origin, generating a signal. Nearby in empty space there is a loop, at a position vector r=(50m)ezz which can detect this signal.

Homework Equations

I have the equation B(t) = B0 sin (2*pi*ft)ex which I understand is the signal emitted by the dipole.

I know that along the z-axis (where the dipole is oriented) there is no magnetic field generated by the electric field & that along the equatorial plane it will be maximum.

It should be specified in spherical coordinates & dipole symmetry means the magnitude of the field is independent of radial angle, Ø. The emitted signal is dependent on angle, θ, though.

The Attempt at a Solution

The loop obviously receives the signal, causing a small current to flow in it, hence it can be measured.

How does the orientation of the loop affect the detection of the signal? Could I explain it in terms of the same equation (above)?
I'm not sure . . . . . . . .
Could someone clarify this please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify the concepts mentioned in the forum post. Firstly, the Hertzian dipole is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of an antenna that radiates electromagnetic waves. It is often used to represent a simple dipole antenna, which consists of two poles with opposite charges. The dipole is usually oriented along the z-axis, with one pole at the origin and the other pole at a distance of d along the z-axis.

The equation B(t) = B0 sin (2*pi*ft)ex represents the magnetic field generated by the dipole at a distance r from the origin. This equation is correct for points along the z-axis, where the electric field generated by the dipole is zero. However, for points along the equatorial plane (perpendicular to the z-axis), the electric field is maximum and the magnetic field is zero. Therefore, the equation for the magnetic field at these points would be B(t) = 0ex.

Now, for the detection of the signal by the loop located at r=(50m)ezz, the orientation of the loop does affect the detection. The loop will detect the signal only if it is oriented in the same direction as the magnetic field generated by the dipole. In this case, the loop should be oriented along the x-axis (perpendicular to the z-axis). This is because the magnetic field is maximum along this direction, and the loop will experience a maximum induced current.

In terms of the equation mentioned, the orientation of the loop can be taken into account by considering the direction of the unit vector ex. If the loop is oriented along the x-axis, ex will be equal to (1,0,0) and the equation for the magnetic field will be B(t) = B0 sin (2*pi*ft)(1,0,0). If the loop is oriented along any other direction, the equation will have to be modified accordingly.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding the role of orientation in the detection of the signal by the loop.

Related to I have a hertzian dipole at the origin

1. What is a hertzian dipole?

A hertzian dipole is a theoretical model used in electromagnetics to represent a simple antenna. It consists of two equal and opposite electric charges separated by a small distance, with the charges oscillating back and forth. This model is used to analyze the radiation pattern and properties of antennas.

2. Where is the origin in relation to a hertzian dipole?

The origin is located at the center of the hertzian dipole, where the two charges are located. This point is considered the reference point for calculating the electric and magnetic fields generated by the dipole.

3. What is the significance of having a hertzian dipole at the origin?

Hertzian dipoles are often used as a reference point for analyzing the behavior of other types of antennas. Having the dipole at the origin simplifies the calculations and allows for easier comparison between different antenna designs.

4. How is a hertzian dipole characterized?

A hertzian dipole is characterized by its length, which is the distance between the two charges, and its orientation, which describes the direction of the dipole's axis. These parameters determine the radiation pattern and efficiency of the dipole as an antenna.

5. Can the hertzian dipole model be applied to real-world antennas?

While the hertzian dipole is a theoretical model, it can be used to approximate the behavior of real-world antennas. However, it is important to note that real antennas may have additional complexities and features that cannot be accurately represented by the simple hertzian dipole model.