I got burned by a helium tank valve. How?

In summary, the conversation discusses the unexpected heating effect of a helium tank when used to blow up a balloon. While it is known that gas escaping from a pressurized tank can make things cooler, the helium tank in question had a negative Joule Thomson coefficient, causing it to warm up instead. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a thermometer to measure the temperature and the difference between the effects of extreme heat and extreme cold.
polypterus
Hi folks. I had a strange thing happen to me and I was wondering if some of you physics gurus could explain it to me. It's my understanding that gas escaping from a pressurized tank makes things cooler. In fact I recently had to empty my scuba tanks for transport and the valves did indeed ice up as the air escaped. However the other day I found a helium tank it my garage. This is the cheap non-refillable kind you get from toys-r-us for blowing up balloons. It has two valves. A metal one you turn and then a rubber nozzle you put the balloon over and hold sideways to blow up the balloon. My four year old son was standing next to me so I decided to blow up a balloon for him. I turned the metal valve a bit, put a balloon over the nozzle and pushed it sideways. In a couple seconds the thing got so hot it actually burned my thumb and I had a blister for a few days. How could this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's very little, if any, difference between the effects of extreme heat and extreme cold. That applies to physical sensation as well as cellular disruption. I suspect that you flash-froze your finger and your brain interpreted it as a burn.

That crossed my mind however it really did feel like a burn. In any case I'm tempted to try it again with thermometer handy although I'm not sure how I'd use it. The other thing is my scuba tanks which are under much higher pressure do get cold however I can still lay my hands on the valve without getting injured.

At ambient conditions helium has a negative Joule Thomson coefficient so will warm when expanded - hence you burnt yourself. Hydrogen and Neon also have negative Joule Thomson coefficients at room temperatures.

Hi hamishnichol,
hamishnichol said:
At ambient conditions helium has a negative Joule Thomson coefficient so will warm when expanded - hence you burnt yourself. Hydrogen and Neon also have negative Joule Thomson coefficients at room temperatures.
The rise in temperature for helium is less than 10 degrees F so there's no chance that can happen.

Q_Goest said:
Hi hamishnichol,

The rise in temperature for helium is less than 10 degrees F so there's no chance that can happen.

I'd misread the type of cylinder so assumed it was a 200bar helium cylinder which would give ~ 12K increase in temperature which on a hot day could just about push it from hot to touch to ouch!

Related to I got burned by a helium tank valve. How?

1. How could a helium tank valve burn me?

The helium inside the tank is under high pressure, which causes it to be very cold. When the valve is opened, the sudden release of pressure also causes a rapid drop in temperature. If the valve comes into contact with your skin, it can cause a cold burn similar to frostbite.

2. What causes the burn to occur?

The burn is caused by a process known as the Joule-Thomson effect. When a gas expands rapidly, it loses energy and cools down. This can result in the gas being cold enough to cause a burn if it comes into contact with your skin.

3. How can I prevent getting burned by a helium tank valve?

To prevent a burn, it is important to always wear protective gloves when handling a helium tank. Additionally, always make sure to open the valve slowly and point it away from your body to avoid direct contact with the cold gas.

4. What should I do if I get burned by a helium tank valve?

If you experience a cold burn from a helium tank valve, immediately remove any affected clothing and run the burned area under lukewarm water for at least 10-15 minutes. Avoid using ice or very cold water, as this can further damage the skin. Seek medical attention if the burn is severe or covers a large area.

5. Are there any long-term effects from getting burned by a helium tank valve?

In most cases, a cold burn from a helium tank valve will heal without any long-term effects. However, if the burn is severe or covers a large area, there is a risk of scarring or damage to the underlying tissue. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience a severe cold burn.