I forgot how to do my ODES Stuck on a PDE question.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to a PDE with given boundary conditions. The solution is a function of sinM and cosM, and can also be written as Acos(mx) + Bsin(mx) for ease of taking derivatives. Euler's formula can also be used to put the answer in a more pleasant form.
calvino
Let's say I assumed that the answer to a PDE was U(x,t)= XT, where X,T are functions. I then further my answer by getting to a point for
T'/T=kX''/X, where k is some constant given in the boundary conditions. I then continue by working on either side to find each function. Suppose I work on the right hand side (RHS).

Since i know both LHS and RHS are indepent of each other, I can continue and say that RHS= -$. Now, I check the first case there $<0. So i say that $=-h^2 and get kX'' + (h^2)X=0.

I am stuck here. Does X then turn out to be a function of cosM and sinM, when $<0? (M being theta, or some angle). Furthermore, X=CcosM + DsinM...right?

note: I didnt include that boundary conditions as I doubt that they are needed for my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
calvino said:
Does X then turn out to be a function of cosM and sinM, when $<0? (M being theta, or some angle). Furthermore, X=CcosM + DsinM...right?
note: I didnt include that boundary conditions as I doubt that they are needed for my question.
Yes, one form of the solution would be a sum of a sin and cos function. I think you would be better off writing the solution as Acos(mx) + Bsin(mx) rather than cos(M) + sin(M) so that you'll be able to take the derivatives when you plug back into the ODE to find the value of m. Also, I wouldn't bother solving the cases of $>0 and $<0 seperately. Just assume the form to be exponential and Euler's formula can put your answer in a more pleasent form.

Related to I forgot how to do my ODES Stuck on a PDE question.

1. How do I approach solving a PDE question?

To solve a PDE question, you should first identify the type of PDE and determine the appropriate method to solve it. This could involve using separation of variables, the method of characteristics, or numerical methods. Once you have chosen a method, you can then proceed with solving the equation step by step.

2. What do I do if I forget how to solve a specific type of PDE?

If you forget how to solve a specific type of PDE, you can refer to your class notes or textbook for guidance. You can also consult with your professor or a classmate for help. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can provide step-by-step instructions for solving different types of PDEs.

3. How can I check if my solution to the PDE question is correct?

To check if your solution to the PDE question is correct, you can substitute your solution into the original PDE equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use numerical methods or graphing software to visualize the solution and compare it to the given boundary conditions.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving PDE questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving PDE questions include not properly identifying the type of PDE, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not accounting for all boundary conditions. It is also important to double check your calculations and ensure that your solution satisfies the given PDE equation.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for PDE questions?

To improve your problem-solving skills for PDE questions, it is important to practice solving a variety of PDE problems. You can also review and understand the different methods for solving PDEs and familiarize yourself with common techniques and strategies. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from your professor if you are struggling with a particular problem.