I finding my mistake moment of inertia

In summary, the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder with mass M, outside radius R2, and inside radius R1 is given by I = 0.5(M)(R2^2 + R1^2). To prove this using integration, the cylinder can be seen as a stack of hoops, and the moment of inertia of one hoop is calculated to be I(hoop) = MR^2. After some calculations, the final equation for I is (R2^2 + R1^2)/2M, with M in the denominator instead of the numerator. This is easily corrected by changing the last two steps and making sure to double-check calculations to avoid mistakes.
dswatson
How do i prove,using integration, that the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder that has mass M, an outside radius R2, and an inside radius R1 is given by...
I=.5(M)(R2^2+R1^2)

here is the work I have done...
I am really close but do not see where I made my mistake
Can someone help me find it?

If you look at the cylinder like a bunch of hoops stacked together then

I(hoop)=MR^2

dV=(2*pi*R)(dR)(L)

P=sigma
P=dM/dV
dM=(2*pi*R)(dR)(L)(P)

I=int(R^2*dM)
I=int[a,b](R^2)(2*pi*R)(dR)(L)(P)
I=(2*pi*L*P)*int[R1,R2](R^3dR)
I=(2*pi*L*P)*[(R2^4-R1^4)/4]
I=(pi*L*P)*[(R2^2-R1^2)(R2^2+R1^2)/2]
V=pi*L(R2^2-R1^2)
M=pi*L*P(R2^2-R1^2)
(R2^2-R1^2)=(pi*L*P)/M
I=(R2^2+R1^2)/2M

I have most of the equation correct but M is in the denominator when if needs to be just the opposite

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Everything is fine up to the last two steps.

From M = pi*L*P(R2^2 - R1^2) you should get M/(pi*L*P) = (R2^2 - R1^2) and not (pi*L*P)/M = (R2^2 - R1^2).

When you change this you should get the right answer.

Don't worry about it, it's just a small mistake. So, you shouldn't get penalized heavily in an exam for it.

I make mistakes like these all the time. The way to avoid them is to always double-check all the steps in your calculations.

Hope this helps,

Wynand.

Related to I finding my mistake moment of inertia

1. What is "moment of inertia" and why is it important?

Moment of inertia refers to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is an important concept in physics and engineering as it helps us understand how objects move and behave under different conditions.

2. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a given object?

The moment of inertia depends on the shape, mass, and distribution of mass of an object. There are specific equations for different types of objects, such as solid cylinders, hollow cylinders, and spheres. You can also use integrals to calculate the moment of inertia for more complex shapes.

3. What are some common mistakes when calculating moment of inertia?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the correct units in the calculation. Another mistake is using the wrong equation for the object's shape. Make sure to double check your calculations and units to avoid errors.

4. Can I use the moment of inertia to predict an object's motion?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be used to predict how an object will rotate or spin in response to an applied force. It is an important factor in understanding rotational motion and can be used in various applications, such as designing machines and vehicles.

5. How can I use the moment of inertia to improve my experiments or designs?

By accurately calculating and understanding the moment of inertia, you can make more informed decisions in your experiments or designs. It can help you determine the amount of force needed to rotate an object, as well as how different factors like mass and shape can affect an object's rotational motion.