I do still not understand definition of potential well

In summary, a potential well refers to a local minimum in potential energy, often visualized as a ball rolling inside a bowl. This concept is used in both classical and modern physics.
vupipi
I do still not understand definition of potential well. Could you help me answer this question?

What is the meaning of Potential well in modern physics? What is difference between Potential well in modern physics and classical physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
In what context?

A potential well is just a local minimum in potential energy. Think of a ball rolling inside a bowl.

What is difference between Potential well in modern physics and in classical physics?

vupipi said:
What is difference between Potential well in modern physics and in classical physics?

The term is still used in the context christianjb says it is whether in Classical or Modern Physics.

Related to I do still not understand definition of potential well

What is a potential well?

A potential well, also known as a potential energy well, is a region in space where the potential energy of a particle is lower than its surrounding areas. This creates a force that attracts particles towards the center of the well.

What are the types of potential wells?

The two main types of potential wells are single-well and double-well. Single-well potential wells have one minimum potential energy point, while double-well potential wells have two minimum points.

What are the applications of potential wells?

Potential wells have various applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used in particle accelerators, atomic and molecular physics, and in designing electronic devices such as transistors and diodes.

How is the depth of a potential well determined?

The depth of a potential well is determined by the difference between the potential energy at the minimum point and the potential energy at infinity. The deeper the well, the stronger the force of attraction towards the center.

What happens to a particle in a potential well?

A particle in a potential well will oscillate back and forth around the minimum point, with its kinetic energy increasing as it moves away from the center and decreasing as it moves towards the center. If the particle has enough energy, it may escape the well and move towards infinity.