I can't understand this problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem set on determining primitive pythagorean triples. The solution involves finding a parameterization for the equation (a/c)^2 + (b/c)^2 = 1 and verifying that if the parameter t is limited to only rational solutions, then a parametrization of all rational solutions is obtained. The conditions for t are determined to be 0 < t < pi/2. It is then shown that if t = u/v, where u and v are relatively prime natural numbers and v > u, and this is substituted into the parametrization, it can be concluded that there exists a positive rational number r such that x = (1-r^2)/(1+r^2) and y
nmego12345

Homework Statement

Ok so this isn't really a problem, more like a problem set, I'm not sure if I'm able to understand it yet.
The context is determining all the primitive pythogrean triples
  1. Letting x = a/c and y = b/c, we see that (x, y) is a point on the unit circle
    real85.png
    with rational number coordinates. In the section on solving systems of simultaneous equations, one obtained a parametrization of all solutions of this equation. Verify that if one allows the parameter t to take on only rational solutions, then one obtains a parameterization of all the solutions which are rational numbers.
  2. Determine conditions on t so that one has a parametrization of all positive rational solutions.
  3. Let t = u/v where u and v are relatively prime natural numbers and v > u. Then substitute these into the parametrization to obtain
    real86.png

Now, it is tempting, but not valid to conclude that the numerators and denominators on each side are equal. However, one can conclude that there is a positive rational number r such that

real87.png

Explain why this is the case.

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 = 1
If x,y and z are vertices of a triangle and the triangle is right at z then
(xz)^2 + (zy)^2 = (xy)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt at understanding and solving this problem set, correct me if I'm wrong

1. I guess this asks me to get the paramaterization for:
(a/c)^2 + (b/c)^2 = 1
let's insert in
x = a/c, y = b/c

x^2 + y^2 = 1
then it's pretty straightforward
cos(t) = x, sin(t) = y

now I have to verify that if one allows the parameter t to take on only rational solutions, then one obtains a parameterization of all the solutions which are rational numbers.

What does the problem mean by "one obtains a a parameterization of all the rational solutions"?

I think it tells me to find the t values for which x, y are rational. They are
0 + mpi/2, pi/6 + mpi/2, pi/4 + mpi/2, pi/3 + m/pi2, pi/2 + m/pi2,

where m belongs to the set ℕ U {0}

2. This is easy to understand
0 < t < pi/2

Done

3. t = u/v

0 < u/v < pi/2

Now I can't understand how do we get
real86.png
That's one thing.

Another thing is when the problem says "not valid to conclude that the numerators and denominators on each side are equal"

does it means "not valid to conclude that v^2 - u^2 = 2uv"?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nmego12345 said:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msc.uky.edu%2Fken%2Fma109%2Fexercises%2Fimages%2Freal86.png
This is taking a different approach from the one you used.
Look at
##\left( \frac{a}{c}\right)^2+ \left( \frac{b}{c}\right)^2 = 1##
1 is a perfect square, so the left side must be able to be written as a square.

I'm sorry, I can't understand what are you trying to explain

Let's start with the parameterization.
The problem states:
nmego12345 said:
In the section on solving systems of simultaneous equations, one obtained a parametrization of all solutions of this equation.
Did the parameterization referred to use sine and cosine? I doubt that is the one the problem is asking for, since having a rational t does not guarantee that ##\sin(t)## and ##\cos(t)## are rational.

nmego12345 said:

Homework Statement

Ok so this isn't really a problem, more like a problem set, I'm not sure if I'm able to understand it yet.
The context is determining all the primitive pythogrean triples
  1. Letting x = a/c and y = b/c, we see that (x, y) is a point on the unit circle
    real85.png
    with rational number coordinates. In the section on solving systems of simultaneous equations, one obtained a parametrization of all solutions of this equation. Verify that if one allows the parameter t to take on only rational solutions, then one obtains a parameterization of all the solutions which are rational numbers.
  2. Determine conditions on t so that one has a parametrization of all positive rational solutions.
  3. Let t = u/v where u and v are relatively prime natural numbers and v > u. Then substitute these into the parametrization to obtain
    real86.png

Now, it is tempting, but not valid to conclude that the numerators and denominators on each side are equal. However, one can conclude that there is a positive rational number r such that

real87.png

Explain why this is the case.

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 = 1
If x,y and z are vertices of a triangle and the triangle is right at z then
(xz)^2 + (zy)^2 = (xy)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt at understanding and solving this problem set, correct me if I'm wrong

1. I guess this asks me to get the paramaterization for:
(a/c)^2 + (b/c)^2 = 1
let's insert in
x = a/c, y = b/c

x^2 + y^2 = 1
then it's pretty straightforward
cos(t) = x, sin(t) = y

now I have to verify that if one allows the parameter t to take on only rational solutions, then one obtains a parameterization of all the solutions which are rational numbers.

What does the problem mean by "one obtains a a parameterization of all the rational solutions"?

I think it tells me to find the t values for which x, y are rational. They are
0 + mpi/2, pi/6 + mpi/2, pi/4 + mpi/2, pi/3 + m/pi2, pi/2 + m/pi2,

where m belongs to the set ℕ U {0}

2. This is easy to understand
0 < t < pi/2

Done

3. t = u/v

0 < u/v < pi/2

real86.png

That's one thing.

Another thing is when the problem says "not valid to conclude that the numerators and denominators on each side are equal"

does it means "not valid to conclude that v^2 - u^2 = 2uv"?

Thanks
What is the parametrization you are to use here?

It looks like it's
##\displaystyle x = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2} ##

##\displaystyle y = \frac{2t}{1+t^2} ##

Oh, I see that RUber beat me to it !

Related to I can't understand this problem

1. Why is this problem so difficult to understand?

Understanding a problem can be difficult for a variety of reasons. It could be because the problem is complex, the concepts involved are unfamiliar, or the problem lacks clear instructions. It's important to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and seek help from others if needed.

2. How can I improve my understanding of this problem?

One way to improve understanding is to approach the problem from different angles. Try breaking it down into smaller parts, creating visual aids or diagrams, or seeking help from a peer or instructor. It's also important to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

3. Is there a specific method or strategy to understand this problem?

There are various problem-solving strategies and methods, such as trial and error, working backwards, or using analogies. It may be helpful to try different methods and see what works best for the given problem. Additionally, consulting textbooks or online resources may provide helpful tips and strategies.

4. How can I overcome frustration when I can't understand a problem?

Frustration is a common emotion when encountering difficult problems. One way to overcome it is to take a step back and try to find a different approach. It's also important to have a positive attitude and remind yourself that understanding the problem is a process that takes time and effort.

5. What should I do if I still can't understand the problem after multiple attempts?

If you are still struggling to understand the problem after multiple attempts, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. They may be able to offer a different perspective or provide additional explanation. Don't be afraid to ask for help, as it is an important part of the learning process.