I can't believe the hint that is provided; can someone explain how it is true?

• Thread starter Tsunoyukami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses a hint for a problem set involving a function A and its second derivative. The hint states that \frac{d^{2}A}{dr^{2}} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr}). The person working on the problem is having trouble understanding how this statement is true and asks for help. Through a series of calculations, it is shown that the hint is indeed true, but a mistake was made when treating the variables as multiplication. It is then clarified that A must be a function of r and is twice differentiable.
Tsunoyukami
I'm working on a question for a problem set that has the following hint:

For any function A:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}A}{dr^{2}} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

I don't understand how this is true; this is how I try to show that both sides are equal but it doesn't work out...any help would be appreciated.

[itex]\frac{d^{2}A}{dr^{2}} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dr}\frac{dA}{dr} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

[itex](\frac{d}{dr} + \frac{2}{r}) \frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dr} + \frac{2}{r} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dr} + \frac{2}{r} = \frac{d}{dr}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{2}{r} = \frac{d}{dr} - \frac{d}{dr}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{2}{r} = 0[/itex]

This is only true if r [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex]. I think I must be doing something wrong - can anyone please explain what I'm doing wrong and show me how the hint is a true statement? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're treating everything as if it's multiplication, that's not legal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tsunoyukami said:
I'm working on a question for a problem set that has the following hint:

For any function A:

I don't understand how this is true; this is how I try to show that both sides are equal but it doesn't work out...any help would be appreciated.

[itex]\frac{d}{dr}\frac{dA}{dr} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

[itex](\frac{d}{dr} + \frac{2}{r}) \frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dr} + \frac{2}{r} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dr} + \frac{2}{r} = \frac{d}{dr}[/itex]
The step above makes no sense. d/dr(r2) does NOT mean d/dr * r2, so you can't divide by r2 to end up with d/dr.

There are steps above that that also don't make sense, for essentially the same reason.
Tsunoyukami said:
[itex] \frac{2}{r} = \frac{d}{dr} - \frac{d}{dr}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{2}{r} = 0[/itex]

This is only true if r [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex]. I think I must be doing something wrong - can anyone please explain what I'm doing wrong and show me how the hint is a true statement? Thanks!

The assumption here is that A = A(r); i.e., A is a function of r. Also, it is assumed that A is twice differentiable.

Start on the right side and calculate (1/r2) * d/dr(r2 *dA/dr).

Mindscrape said:
You're treating everything as if it's multiplication, that's not legal.

[tex]\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{d}{dr}(r^2 \frac{dA}{dr}) =\frac{1}{r^2}( 2r\frac{dA}{dr}+r^2\frac{d^2A}{dr^2})[/tex]

Oh man, I can't believe I missed that - thanks so much it makes perfect sense now! It slipped my mind that the [itex]\frac{d}{dr}[/itex] would act on the [itex]r^{2}[/itex] and that I would have to use the chain rule. Thanks a lot!

Mark44 said:
The step above makes no sense. d/dr(r2) does NOT mean d/dr * r2, so you can't divide by r2 to end up with d/dr.

There are steps above that that also don't make sense, for essentially the same reason.The assumption here is that A = A(r); i.e., A is a function of r. Also, it is assumed that A is twice differentiable.

Start on the right side and calculate (1/r2) * d/dr(r2 *dA/dr).

I see my mistake, thank you. I knew I was doing something fishy but I wasn't certain what it was. Thank you again for the prompt replies!

Related to I can't believe the hint that is provided; can someone explain how it is true?

1. Why is the hint given for this problem difficult to understand?

The hint may be difficult to understand because it is written in a concise and technical manner, assuming prior knowledge or understanding of certain concepts or formulas.

2. Can you provide more context or explanation for the hint given?

Absolutely. Sometimes a hint may only make sense when the problem is approached from a certain angle or when certain assumptions are made. Providing more context or breaking down the hint into simpler terms can help clarify its meaning.

3. How can I use the hint to solve the problem?

The hint is meant to guide you in the right direction and provide a starting point for solving the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the hint, and then try to apply it to the problem in a logical manner.

4. What should I do if I still don't understand the hint after reading it multiple times?

If the hint is still not clear, it may be helpful to do some further research or seek assistance from a peer or teacher. Sometimes a fresh perspective can help make the hint easier to understand.

5. Is it okay to ask for help with understanding the hint?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for help. In fact, seeking clarification or assistance can often lead to a better understanding of the problem and the hint itself. Don't be afraid to reach out for help when needed.