I can not calculate these Newton equations

In summary, the problem involves determining the acceleration of a 30 kg car and the tension in a wire holding a 20 kg block at the moment the car is released from rest. By summing forces in the y direction for the block and in the x direction for the car, equations can be formed to solve for the acceleration and tension. The x and y components of the forces must be taken into account, with the relationship between the acceleration of the car and the block being a_x = a_y/sin25.
Apprentice123
A block B of 20 kg is trapped by a wire of 2 m a car A of 30 kg. Determine (a) the acceleration of the car (b) the tension of the wire, immediately after the system was abandoned the rest, in the position shown in the figure. Despise is the friction.

Answer:
(a) 6,17 m/s^2
(b) 144 N

My attempt
CAR

ZFx = mA . a
Tcos(65) = 30a

Block B
ZFx = mB . a
Tsin(65) = mB.a

I can not calculate these equations

Attachments

• 12.32.GIF
    12.32.GIF
    10.7 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org

Apprentice123 said:
A block B of 20 kg is trapped by a wire of 2 m a car A of 30 kg. Determine (a) the acceleration of the car (b) the tension of the wire, immediately after the system was abandoned the rest, in the position shown in the figure. Despise is the friction.

Answer:
(a) 6,17 m/s^2
(b) 144 N

My attempt
CAR

ZFx = mA . a
Tcos(65) = 30a

Block B
ZFx = mB . a
Tsin(65) = mB.a

I can not calculate these equations

The equations are correct?

why are you writing ZFx? do you mean the x component of F? but the car moves in a direction where it has x and y components of the force [Fx and Fy]
for the tension of the wire there’s no Fx

drizzle said:
why are you writing ZFx? do you mean the x component of F? but the car moves in a direction where it has x and y components of the force [Fx and Fy]
for the tension of the wire there’s no Fx

ZF => Sum of forces

It is probably best to choose the x-axis as the axis parallel to the incline, both when looking at the forces on block A and the forces on Block B. If you look at block B first and sum forces in the "x" direction, that is, in the direction parallel to the incline, then it's Tsin25 plus the weight force component =20a, where 'a' is the acceleration in that x direction parallel to the incline. Then look at Block A using the same set of axes, and don't forget to include the weight (gravity) force acting down the incline.

PhanthomJay said:
It is probably best to choose the x-axis as the axis parallel to the incline, both when looking at the forces on block A and the forces on Block B. If you look at block B first and sum forces in the "x" direction, that is, in the direction parallel to the incline, then it's Tsin25 plus the weight force component =20a, where 'a' is the acceleration in that x direction parallel to the incline. Then look at Block A using the same set of axes, and don't forget to include the weight (gravity) force acting down the incline.

Not Tcos (25) ?
The acceleration of the block is the same car ?

Sorry, I may have misread this problem. I believe the problem is asking for the car acceleration and the tension in the wire holding the 20 kg mass (Block B) at the instant the car is released from rest, while the wire is in the vertical position. If that is the case, it seems you should look at block B and sum forces in the vertical y direction to get 20g - T = 20a_y. Then look at the car, and sum forces along the incline ( the weight and tension components acting along the incline as the assumed x direction) equal to 30a_x, where a_x and a_y are related by a_x =a_y/sin25.

PhanthomJay said:
Sorry, I may have misread this problem. I believe the problem is asking for the car acceleration and the tension in the wire holding the 20 kg mass (Block B) at the instant the car is released from rest, while the wire is in the vertical position. If that is the case, it seems you should look at block B and sum forces in the vertical y direction to get 20g - T = 20a_y. Then look at the car, and sum forces along the incline ( the weight and tension components acting along the incline as the assumed x direction) equal to 30a_x, where a_x and a_y are related by a_x =a_y/sin25.

How to calculate sum of forces in the X axis? Only has the weight

Apprentice123 said:
How to calculate sum of forces in the X axis? Only has the weight
For block B, I took the y-axis as vertical and the x-axis as horizontal, and summed forces in the y direction. But for the free body diagram of car A, I chose the x-axis to be the axis parallel to the incline, that is, 25 degrees up from the horizontal. So acting along the x-axis , you have the component of the cars weight (mgsin 25) and also the component of the Tension force (Tsin25). Their sum is 30a_x. You will need to solve 2 equations with 2 unknowns, noting first the relation beteen a_x and a_y (since the block and car are connected, they must accelerate at the same rate).

PhanthomJay said:
For block B, I took the y-axis as vertical and the x-axis as horizontal, and summed forces in the y direction. But for the free body diagram of car A, I chose the x-axis to be the axis parallel to the incline, that is, 25 degrees up from the horizontal. So acting along the x-axis , you have the component of the cars weight (mgsin 25) and also the component of the Tension force (Tsin25). Their sum is 30a_x. You will need to solve 2 equations with 2 unknowns, noting first the relation beteen a_x and a_y (since the block and car are connected, they must accelerate at the same rate).

Thanks

Clarificaton Edit: For block B, I took the y-axis as vertical and the x-axis as horizontal, and summed forces in the y direction. But for the free body diagram of car A, I chose the x-axis to be the axis parallel to the incline, that is, 25 degrees up from the horizontal. So acting along the inclined x-axis , you have the component of the cars weight (mgsin 25) and also the component of the Tension force (Tsin25). Their sum is 30a_x. You will need to solve 2 equations with 2 unknowns, noting first the relation beteen a_x and a_y (since the block and car are connected, they must initially vertically accelerate at the same rate a_y, but not so horizontally...until ultimately after a very brief time, once the lower block swings into its final position with the rope perpendicular to the incline, they accelerate together in both the x and y directions, at the same rate, but different from the initial value of the calcualted accelerataion.

Related to I can not calculate these Newton equations

What are the Newton equations?

The Newton equations, also known as Newton's laws of motion, are a set of three fundamental laws that describe the motion of objects in the physical world. These laws were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and have been an essential part of classical mechanics ever since.

Why can't I calculate these equations?

Calculating the Newton equations requires a strong understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus. These equations involve the use of derivatives and integrals, which can be difficult to grasp without proper training and practice. It is important to have a solid foundation in mathematics before attempting to calculate these equations.

What are some real-world applications of the Newton equations?

The Newton equations have countless real-world applications, from predicting the trajectory of a projectile to designing a rollercoaster. They are also used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and physics to understand and analyze the behavior of physical systems.

Are the Newton equations still relevant today?

Yes, the Newton equations are still widely used and relevant in modern science and technology. Although they are over 300 years old, these laws have stood the test of time and are still the basis for understanding motion and mechanics in our world.

What are some common mistakes when calculating the Newton equations?

Some common mistakes when calculating the Newton equations include using incorrect values for variables, not properly considering all forces acting on an object, and not taking into account the effects of friction or air resistance. It is important to double-check all values and factors when working with these equations to ensure accurate results.