I am making a big assumption but if we live in a simulation

• Thread starter billa12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulation
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of living in a simulation on the real world, specifically in relation to the double slit experiment. It is questioned whether an outside observer or object would have an influence on the results of the experiment. The idea of a simulation being affected by external factors, such as the temperature of the computer it is built on, is also brought up. The speaker ultimately concludes that proposing something magical cannot lead to physical results or answers, and that the temperature of a computer is unlikely to affect its computing abilities.
billa12
I am making a big assumption but if we live in a simulation...

...Would the real world affect are world the virtual world because of the double slit experiment? Would an outside observer of the simulation or a object outside the simulation or even the computer that the simulation built on have an affect on the double slit experiment? Or is this like that like saying the heat in the machine affect the simulated fire?

Physics news on Phys.org

If you propose something magical, you can't ask for physical results or answers.

Does the temperature of my PC affect the way it computes? I don't believe so. (Until it gets so hot it fries or so cold the semiconductors don't work)

Related to I am making a big assumption but if we live in a simulation

What is a simulation?

A simulation is a computer-generated representation of a real-world system or phenomenon.

How can we know if we live in a simulation?

There is currently no way to definitively prove or disprove that we live in a simulation. It is a philosophical and theoretical concept that cannot be tested with scientific methods.

Who or what could be running the simulation?

The creator or creators of the simulation could be advanced beings, future humans, or even a highly advanced artificial intelligence.

What implications does living in a simulation have?

If we do live in a simulation, it could mean that our reality is not as concrete as we believe it to be and that there may be a higher power or force controlling our existence. It could also raise ethical and philosophical questions about the nature of reality and free will.

Is there any evidence to support the simulation hypothesis?

There is currently no concrete evidence to support the simulation hypothesis, but some scientists and philosophers have proposed thought experiments and theoretical arguments that suggest it is a possibility.