I am looking into calculating the weld bead strength. I am unsure of

In summary, The individual is seeking help with calculating the shear stress in a weld bead and has attached a drawing for reference. They also have questions about the angle of beta and the use of cos(beta) in computing alphay. The person is unsure if the applied force, F, is correctly depicted in the drawing and requests a quick freehand sketch to clarify the loading of the joint.
vanuta
I am looking into calculating the weld bead strength. I am unsure of calculating the shear stress..the attachment has a drawing..any help is appreciated

Attachments

• weld.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 406
Engineering news on Phys.org
vanuta: (1) Is angle beta in the xy plane? Or not in the xy plane?

(2) Why do you call alphay a normal stress, when it looks like you are using a shear force, F*cos(beta), to compute alphay?

(3) Why do you use cos(beta) to compute alphay?

(4) I am not yet confident that you have drawn the applied force, F, as it really occurs on the real assembly. Please draw a correct, quick, freehand sketch of the assembly, showing how and where the applied force(s), such as F, are really applied. And show the x, y, and z dimensions to the point of application of the applied force(s) (and applied moment(s), if any), so that we can really see how your joint is loaded.

Related to I am looking into calculating the weld bead strength. I am unsure of

1. What is weld bead strength?

Weld bead strength refers to the ability of a weld to withstand applied forces without breaking or deforming. It is an important factor in determining the overall strength and integrity of a welded joint.

2. How is weld bead strength calculated?

Weld bead strength is typically calculated using mathematical equations that take into account factors such as the type of weld, the material being welded, and the forces that will be applied to the joint. These calculations can also be done using specialized software programs.

3. What factors affect weld bead strength?

Several factors can affect weld bead strength, including the type of weld and welding technique used, the quality and cleanliness of the materials being welded, and the presence of any defects or imperfections in the weld itself.

4. How can I improve weld bead strength?

To improve weld bead strength, it is important to use the appropriate welding technique for the materials being joined, ensure that the materials are clean and free of defects, and use high-quality welding materials. It may also be helpful to perform stress tests on the welded joint to identify any potential weaknesses.

5. Is there a standard for weld bead strength?

Yes, there are several standards that dictate the minimum strength requirements for welds, including the American Welding Society's AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code and the International Organization for Standardization's ISO 15614-1 standard for welding procedure qualification. These standards help ensure that welded joints are strong and reliable.