Hyperbolic Functions: Graphs - question

In summary, hyperbolic functions are mathematical functions denoted by "sinh", "cosh", "tanh", "coth", "sech", and "csch" that use the hyperbola as their geometric basis. They are different from trigonometric functions in that they are not periodic and can take on both positive and negative values. To graph hyperbolic functions, you can use a table of values or a graphing calculator, and utilize properties such as symmetry and asymptotes. Hyperbolic functions can be expressed in terms of exponential functions, making them useful in solving problems. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. The derivative of a hyperbolic function is related
Slimsta

Homework Statement

[tex]$\displaystyle \Large y = \ln (x + \sqrt{x^2 - 1})$[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used my graphing calc.. but that's not the point.
how do i do this question? i mean, how do i find the graph of that function?

Physics news on Phys.org
find and classify critical points, assymptotic behaviour & axis crossings, then put a line through the dots

Related to Hyperbolic Functions: Graphs - question

1. What are hyperbolic functions and how are they different from trigonometric functions?

Hyperbolic functions are mathematical functions that are similar to trigonometric functions, but they use the hyperbola instead of the circle as their geometric basis. They are denoted by "sinh", "cosh", "tanh", "coth", "sech", and "csch". Unlike trigonometric functions, they are not periodic and can take on both positive and negative values.

2. How do you graph hyperbolic functions?

To graph a hyperbolic function, you can plot points using a table of values or use a graphing calculator. You can also use the properties of hyperbolic functions, such as symmetry and asymptotes, to help sketch the graph.

3. What is the relationship between hyperbolic functions and exponential functions?

Hyperbolic functions can be expressed in terms of exponential functions. For example, sinh(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2. This relationship allows us to use the properties of exponential functions to solve problems involving hyperbolic functions.

4. Can hyperbolic functions be used in real-world applications?

Yes, hyperbolic functions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the shape of a hanging cable or the growth of a population.

5. What is the derivative of a hyperbolic function?

The derivative of a hyperbolic function is related to the function itself. For example, the derivative of sinh(x) is cosh(x), and the derivative of tanh(x) is sech^2(x). This makes hyperbolic functions useful in calculus and differential equations.