Hydrostatics: should I use P1A1 = P2A2 or P1 = P2?

In summary, the problem involves finding the ratio between the densities of two liquids separated by a rigid plate. The correct equation to use is P1A1 = P2A2, which results in ρI / ρII = 1/4. Some sources on the internet suggest using P1=P2, but this is incorrect as pressure is a function of depth. Balancing forces is necessary to keep the plate in equilibrium, but balancing moments is not required in this particular problem.
rbmartel
Homework Statement
The figure shows the situation in which two fluids (liquids I and II), with densities ρI and ρII, are separated by a rigid plate of height H, supported on a frictionless base. In order for the plate to be on equilibrium on the rigid plate, the ratio between the densities of the liquids must be ρI / ρII. = ?

Hey guys, in order to find ρI / ρII, should I use:

ρI.g.H1 = ρII.g.H2 (P1 = P2)

or

ρI.g.H1.H1.c = ρII.g.H2.H2.c (P1A1 = P2A2)
Relevant Equations
I used P1A1 = P2A2 and my professor said that P1=P2 is correct, but some sources on the internet say that P1A1=P2A2 is correct, just like I did, but unfortunately no one explains why one or the other is the correct answer.
For P1A1 = P2A2 you get ρI / ρII = 1/4 and for P1=P2 you get ρI / ρII = 1/2.

Attachments

• youzxhoslyr51.png
    youzxhoslyr51.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 153
Physics news on Phys.org
rbmartel said:
Homework Statement:: The figure shows the situation in which two fluids (liquids I and II), with densities ρI and ρII, are separated by a rigid plate of height H, supported on a frictionless base. In order for the plate to be on equilibrium on the rigid plate, the ratio between the densities of the liquids must be ρI / ρII. = ?

Hey guys, in order to find ρI / ρII, should I use:

or

Relevant Equations:: ρI.g.H1 = ρII.g.H2 (P1 = P2)

I used P1A1 = P2A2 and my professor said that P1=P2 is correct, but some sources on the internet say that P1A1=P2A2 is correct, just like I did, but unfortunately no one explains why one or the other is the correct answer.
For P1A1 = P2A2 you get ρI / ρII = 1/4 and for P1=P2 you get ρI / ρII = 1/2.
It's just the balance of forces on the plate. If they are not equal the plate will accelerate as per Newton’s laws.
P1=P2 makes no sense since the pressure is a function of depth. If the pressures are equal at the bottom they are not going to be equal half way up, and certainly not equal above that.

Likes rbmartel
In addition to what @haruspex said, do you also need to balance the moments on the barrier, or are the forces not large enough to tilt it?

Likes rbmartel
haruspex said:
It's just the balance of forces on the plate. If they are not equal the plate will accelerate as per Newton’s laws.
P1=P2 makes no sense since the pressure is a function of depth. If the pressures are equal at the bottom they are not going to be equal half way up, and certainly not equal above that.
Thank you very much! "since the pressure is a function of depth" that answers my questions.

Likes berkeman
Chestermiller said:
In addition to what @haruspex said, do you also need to balance the moments on the barrier, or are the forces not large enough to tilt it?
Nope, it is not required to balance the moments in this specific problem. Thank you!

Likes berkeman

Related to Hydrostatics: should I use P1A1 = P2A2 or P1 = P2?

1. What is the difference between P1A1 = P2A2 and P1 = P2 in hydrostatics?

In hydrostatics, P1A1 = P2A2 is known as the Pascal's principle, which states that the pressure exerted on a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. This means that if the pressure at one point in a fluid is increased, the pressure at all other points will also increase by the same amount. On the other hand, P1 = P2 refers to the equilibrium condition, where the pressure at two points in a fluid is equal. This means that there is no net force acting on the fluid and it is in a state of rest.

2. When should I use P1A1 = P2A2 in hydrostatics?

P1A1 = P2A2 should be used when analyzing situations where a confined fluid is in equilibrium and the pressure at one point needs to be determined based on the pressure at another point. This principle is commonly used in hydraulic systems, such as car brakes and hydraulic lifts.

3. When should I use P1 = P2 in hydrostatics?

P1 = P2 should be used when analyzing situations where a fluid is at rest and the pressure at two points in the fluid needs to be compared. This can be useful in determining the pressure difference between two points in a fluid, such as in a closed water tank.

4. Can P1A1 = P2A2 and P1 = P2 be used interchangeably in hydrostatics?

No, P1A1 = P2A2 and P1 = P2 cannot be used interchangeably in hydrostatics. These two principles apply to different situations and have different implications. It is important to understand the difference between them and use the appropriate one for the given scenario.

5. How do P1A1 = P2A2 and P1 = P2 relate to each other in hydrostatics?

P1A1 = P2A2 and P1 = P2 are related in that they both involve the pressure and equilibrium of a fluid. However, P1A1 = P2A2 is a specific application of P1 = P2, where the pressure at one point is determined based on the pressure at another point. P1 = P2 has a broader application and can be used to compare the pressure at any two points in a fluid.