Hydrogen radial equation solution

In summary, the conversation is about solving the radial equation for the Hydrogen Atom and the general solution for a differential equation. The equation given is d^2u/dp^2 = [l(l+1)/p^2]u and the general solution is u(p) = Cp^(l+1) + Dp^-l. The method of guessing a solution and tweaking parameters is discussed and two possibilities for the solution are given: \alpha = -\mathcal{l} and \alpha = \mathcal{l} + 1. The general solution is a linear combination of these solutions.
Boosh
I am going through my Quantum textbook, just reviewing the material, i.e. this isn't a homework question. We are solving the radial equation for the Hydrogen Atom, first looking at the asymptotic behavior. My issue is I am completely blanking on how to solve the differential equation:

d^2u/dp^2 = [l(l+1)/p^2]u.

The general solution is:

u(p) = Cp^(l+1) + Dp^-l.

Can someone walk me through the steps of getting to this general solution? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
With differential equations, solving them often just means guessing a solution, and then tweaking parameters to get the equations to work out.

You have the equation: [itex]\frac{d^2 u}{dp^2} = \frac{\mathcal{l}(\mathcal{l}+1)}{p^2} u[/itex].
You guess: [itex]u = p^\alpha[/itex].

Then [itex]\frac{du}{dp} = \alpha p^{\alpha-1}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d^2 u}{dp^2} = \alpha (\alpha -1) p^{\alpha - 2}[/itex]. Plugging this into the differential equation gives:

[itex]\alpha (\alpha - 1) p^{\alpha - 2} = \frac{\mathcal{l}(\mathcal{l} + 1)}{p^2} p^\alpha[/itex]

For the equation to be true, [itex]\alpha (\alpha - 1) = \mathcal{l} (\mathcal{l} + 1)[/itex]

So two possibilities are: [itex]\alpha = -\mathcal{l}[/itex] and [itex]\alpha = \mathcal{l} + 1[/itex]

The general solution is a linear combination of the solutions.

Likes Boosh
Ok, thank you so much!

Related to Hydrogen radial equation solution

1. What is the Hydrogen radial equation solution?

The Hydrogen radial equation solution is a mathematical formula that describes the probability of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus of a Hydrogen atom. It is used to understand the behavior of electrons in Hydrogen atoms and to calculate various properties of the atom.

2. What is the significance of the Hydrogen radial equation solution?

The Hydrogen radial equation solution is significant because it allows us to understand the structure and behavior of the simplest atom, Hydrogen. It also serves as a basis for understanding the behavior of other atoms and molecules.

3. How is the Hydrogen radial equation solution derived?

The Hydrogen radial equation solution is derived using quantum mechanics principles and the Schrödinger equation. It involves solving a second-order differential equation and applying boundary conditions to get the final solution.

4. Can the Hydrogen radial equation solution be used for other elements besides Hydrogen?

No, the Hydrogen radial equation solution is specific to Hydrogen atoms and cannot be directly applied to other elements. However, similar equations can be derived for other atoms using quantum mechanics principles.

5. How does the Hydrogen radial equation solution relate to the energy levels of Hydrogen?

The Hydrogen radial equation solution is used to calculate the energy levels of Hydrogen atoms. The solution gives a set of allowed energy values or levels for the electron, which determines the spectral lines and energy transitions observed in the Hydrogen atom.