Hydrogen and the early universe

In summary, the original post states that given enough time, hydrogen will turn into people. However, someone replied that an abundance of primordial helium is also necessary for the formation of life. This is because fusion in stars would happen too quickly without enough time for life to form. Some may argue that this statement is essentially true if you were to magically restart the universe and filter out all the helium before star formation. However, it seems unlikely and unphysical to remove all primordial helium before this process. Overall, the quote is thought-provoking and contains an essential truth, but may not be entirely accurate in a real-world scenario.
FUNKER
Hey all,

I was reading some stuff on-line, when I saw a post by someone that said:

Hydrogen, a colourless, odourless gas, which left long enough will turn into people.

Someone replied:

Negative. An abundance of primordial helium is also required otherwise fusion in stars proceed too quickly to allow enough time for life to form.What are your thoughts on the original post and the reply. Is it not the case that Hydrogen will eventually make Helium and thus the statement is essentially true?Credible references (for my own sake and further reading) would be helpful too :)

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
FUNKER said:
Hey all,

I was reading some stuff on-line, when I saw a post by someone that said:

Hydrogen, a colourless, odourless gas, which left long enough will turn into people.

Someone replied:

Negative. An abundance of primordial helium is also required otherwise fusion in stars proceed too quickly to allow enough time for life to form.

Nice quote! I found it here about half way down the page:
http://www.bac-ground.com/quotes.html
Hydrogen is a colourless, odourless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.
— Henry Hiebert

There are a bunch of good quotes on that page. To find the hydrogen one scroll down right about half way and then go about 10 more quotes down from that. It comes soon after the one from Captain Kirk of the Starship Enterprise:

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam me down my clothes."

I think if you could magically restart the universe after somehow filtering out all the helium (but everything else the same) then it would still work. Because the first generation of stars would form a bunch of elements including helium and blow them out. And then you would have a mix of elements in the star-forming regions.

I'm not especially sure about this, I've never seen it discussed. It seems kind of unphysical to imagine not having a bunch of primordial helium because (I assume you are not changing the relative strengths of fundamental forces, everything stays the same) given that the helium nucleus is so stable it is inevitable that a lot of it would form at the same time as hydrogen. So it is kind of artificial to imagine somehow filtering it out before you start the process of star-formation.

But if you imagine monkeying with the fundamental forces so helium is no longer so stable then it is a whole new ball-game.

I think it is a great quote, and contains an essential truth in a neat epigram package.

Related to Hydrogen and the early universe

1. What is the role of hydrogen in the early universe?

Hydrogen played a crucial role in the early universe as it was the most abundant element present. It formed the first stars and galaxies through gravitational collapse, and its fusion reactions in these stars produced heavier elements like carbon, oxygen, and iron which are essential for life.

2. How did hydrogen contribute to the reionization of the universe?

During the early stages of the universe, all matter was in the form of neutral hydrogen atoms. As the universe expanded and cooled, the first stars and galaxies formed and emitted intense ultraviolet radiation, ionizing the surrounding hydrogen atoms. This process is known as reionization and it allowed light to travel freely through the universe, making it transparent.

3. What is the significance of hydrogen's energy levels in understanding the early universe?

Hydrogen has multiple energy levels that are responsible for its absorption and emission of light at specific wavelengths. By studying the absorption and emission lines of hydrogen in the spectra of distant galaxies, scientists can determine their distance and age, providing valuable insights into the early universe and its evolution.

4. How did the abundance of hydrogen change over time in the early universe?

In the first few minutes after the Big Bang, the universe was composed almost entirely of hydrogen. As the universe expanded and cooled, nuclear fusion reactions in the cores of stars converted hydrogen into heavier elements. This process, known as stellar nucleosynthesis, gradually decreased the abundance of hydrogen in the universe.

5. What is the current research on hydrogen and the early universe?

Scientists continue to study the role of hydrogen in the early universe through advanced telescopes and simulations. They are also investigating the effects of different factors such as dark matter and dark energy on the formation and evolution of the first stars and galaxies. Additionally, experiments are being conducted to recreate the conditions of the early universe in particle accelerators to better understand the fundamental properties of hydrogen and other elements.