Hydrodynamic force on hinged flap gate

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the law of conservation of momentum in relation to the calculation of areas, forces, and equations for both static and dynamic situations. The speakers also mention the use of angular momentum and the need for clarification on certain variables and coordinate system orientation. They also mention the importance of solving problems accurately rather than guessing.
Kapper
Homework Statement
I am trying to find an expression for the hydrodynamic torque the water is exerting on a hinged flap gate. the gate is partially submerged and water can flow around the gate in all directions. I Am not sure how to set up this equation
Relevant Equations
Conservation of momentum, Hydrostatic pressure
I have attempted to use the law of conservation of momentum.

1670770402762.png
door.jpg

The Areas are the lengths marked with the red striped line times the length into the paper, and the Forces F1 and F_hydro are the hydrostatic pressure and hydrodynamic forces respectively (acting on the plate) (The x y components is relative to the coordinate frame given in drawing).

I want to have an equation that works for all angles, which includes both static and dynamic situations.
I can't get this to make sense I think I should use angular momentum instead of linear But I have no idea how to derive that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is F1, or FHydro?
And what coordinate system orientation are you using?

That is the first step in solving thee problems so that others are not guessing on the analysis.

Other than that, are you being asked to solve the force with water flow, or just at the instance when the gate will open?

Sorry I've made an update

Related to Hydrodynamic force on hinged flap gate

1. What is a hinged flap gate?

A hinged flap gate is a type of gate used in hydraulic engineering to control the flow of water. It consists of a flat panel that is hinged at one end and can be opened or closed to allow or restrict the passage of water.

2. What is hydrodynamic force?

Hydrodynamic force is the force exerted by a fluid on a solid object due to its motion or flow. In the case of a hinged flap gate, it is the force exerted by the flowing water on the gate.

3. Why is it important to consider hydrodynamic force on hinged flap gates?

It is important to consider hydrodynamic force on hinged flap gates because it can have a significant impact on the stability and performance of the gate. If the force is too strong, it can cause the gate to fail or malfunction, leading to potential flooding or damage.

4. How is hydrodynamic force on hinged flap gates calculated?

Hydrodynamic force on hinged flap gates can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid velocity, density, and pressure. Other factors such as gate size, shape, and angle of opening may also be considered in the calculation.

5. Can hydrodynamic force on hinged flap gates be controlled?

Yes, hydrodynamic force on hinged flap gates can be controlled by adjusting the design and dimensions of the gate, as well as the flow of water. Additionally, devices such as counterweights or hydraulic systems can be used to help balance and reduce the force on the gate.