Hybridization of atomic orbitals

In summary, hybridization of atomic orbitals occurs between orbitals in the same atom with similar energies in order to produce new atomic orbitals for chemical bonding. However, in some cases, there may be a superposition of orbitals from neighboring atoms, which is referred to as hybridization in a more qualitative sense in calculations such as MO or DFT.
mendes
Hi all,

To my knowledge hybridization of atomc orbitals occurs only between orbitals in the same atom, with similar energies, in order to produce new atomic orbitals, identical with the same energy, to make chemical bonds with other atoms. There are sp, sp2, sp3, etc... possibilities.

My problem is that I often read about hybridization between an atomic orbital from one atom with another orbital from another atom !

http://www.google.is/search?hl=is&c...&q=TM-d+hybridize+O-p++ZnO&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=Can anybody explain this type of "hybridization" of atomic orbitals between different atoms ? Is it just "overlap", i.e. chemical bond, or a real hybridization ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mendes said:
Hi all,

To my knowledge hybridization of atomc orbitals occurs only between orbitals in the same atom, with same energy, in order to produce new atomic orbitals, identical with the same energy, to make chemical bonds with other atoms. There are sp, sp2, sp3, etc... possibilities.
How many atoms do you know where s and p electrons have the same energy?

DrDu said:
How many atoms do you know where s and p electrons have the same energy?

I should have written "with similar energies" instead of "the same energy". Thanks.

Hybridization in the stricter sense is a term from valence bond theory. It refers to the use of a superposition of atomic orbitals instead of orbitals of pure s, p, d ... type. Occasionally, also hybrid orbitals including admixture of orbitals from neighbouring atoms are considered.
The examples you cited are MO or DFT type calculations. There, hybridization is used in a more qualitative sense, meaning simply that the band orbitals are a superposition of s and p or d orbitals.

Related to Hybridization of atomic orbitals

1. What is hybridization of atomic orbitals?

Hybridization of atomic orbitals is a process in which two or more atomic orbitals combine to form new hybrid orbitals with different shapes and energies. This process occurs in order to minimize the repulsion between electrons and achieve a more stable electronic configuration.

2. What is the purpose of hybridization in chemistry?

The purpose of hybridization in chemistry is to explain the molecular geometry and bonding in molecules. It allows us to predict the shape and properties of molecules based on the hybridization of their constituent atoms.

3. How does hybridization affect the strength of chemical bonds?

Hybridization can affect the strength of chemical bonds by influencing the overlap of orbitals between atoms. In general, the greater the overlap of orbitals, the stronger the bond will be. Hybridization can also affect the polarity of bonds, which can also impact their strength.

4. What are the types of hybridization commonly observed in molecules?

The most common types of hybridization are sp, sp2, and sp3. In sp hybridization, one s orbital and one p orbital combine to form two sp hybrid orbitals. In sp2 hybridization, one s orbital and two p orbitals combine to form three sp2 hybrid orbitals. In sp3 hybridization, one s orbital and three p orbitals combine to form four sp3 hybrid orbitals. Other types of hybridization, such as sp3d and sp3d2, may also occur in more complex molecules.

5. How can we determine the hybridization of an atom in a molecule?

The hybridization of an atom in a molecule can be determined by counting the number of electron groups (atoms or lone pairs of electrons) around the central atom. The number of electron groups corresponds to the hybridization. For example, if there are 4 electron groups, the central atom is sp3 hybridized, and if there are 3 electron groups, the central atom is sp2 hybridized.