Hybridization of Asses & Zebras in Genus Equus

• Thread starter snorkack
  • Start date
In summary, there are eight extant species of equus, of which two - the tarpan and the Przewalski horse - are classified as horses. Out of these, three are classified as asses - the African ass, the onager, and the Kiang. Meanwhile, three are classified as zebras - the Grevy zebra, the Plains zebra, and the Mountain zebra. However, hybrids of the tarpan and the Przewalski horse are fertile, while hybrids of the tarpan and the African ass are readily produced and even more famously sterile.
snorkack
In genus Equus there seem to be 8 extant species, of which one - tarpan - is extinct in the wild.
Out of these, 2 are classified as horses:
  1. tarpan
  2. Przewalski horse
Tarpan and Przewalski horse famously have a different number of chromosomes (tarpan 64, Przewalski horse 66) and as famously produce fertile offspring with unpaired chromosomes.
Now, 3 species of Equus are classified as asses:
  1. African ass
  2. Onager
  3. Kiang
and 3 are classified as zebras:
  1. Grevy zebra
  2. Plains zebra
  3. Mountain zebra
Now, while hybrids of tarpan and Przewalski horse are fertile, hybrids of tarpan and African ass are readily produced and even more famously sterile.

The hybrids of African ass and onager have been mentioned to exist. Any details? Are they sterile (like ass/horse hybrids) or fertile (like tarpan/Przewalski horse hybrids)?

Biology news on Phys.org
I've been having trouble working out what you are talking about ... vis:

Genus. Equus

Sub G. Equus (Horse)
E. ferus:

Notice there is only one species of horse, but there are two extant sub-species:
E. ferus caballus (modern horse)
E. ferus przewalskii (Przewalski's horse)
... iirc subspecies are usually interfertile with fertile offspring.

E. ferus ferus (Tarpan) is extinct. But see:
http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2016/06/02/dont-call-me-tarpan/#axzz4HHHLl2E5

Other species in Genus Equus, by sub-genus:

SubG. Asinus (Donkeys)
E. africanus, E. hermionus, E. kiang
(+5 extinct)

SubG. Dolichohippus (Zebra)
E Grevy (+2 extinct)

SubG. Hippotigris (Zebra)
E. Quagga
E. Zebra
+ 1 extinct

SubG. Incertae sedis (unclassified)
E. major <---<<< I don't know anything about this!
+12 extinct

So I make that 3 species of donkey and 3 of zebra in keeping with post #1 - although one of the species of zebra is in a separate sub-genus.
Since the donkeys are all distinct species, it seems reasonable to expect hybrids, if any, to be infertile or to have low fertility. However, I cannot find recent references for any. You'd think that donkeys would be more closely related to each other than to horses but life is messy.

Note: my source here is wikipedia - they do seem to get this sort of stuff right though.

Related to Hybridization of Asses & Zebras in Genus Equus

1. What is hybridization?

Hybridization is the process of breeding individuals from two different species, resulting in offspring with a mix of genetic traits from both parent species.

2. Can asses and zebras in the genus Equus interbreed?

Yes, asses and zebras in the genus Equus can interbreed and produce viable offspring. However, these hybrids are usually infertile and unable to reproduce.

3. What is the purpose of hybridizing asses and zebras?

The purpose of hybridizing asses and zebras is usually for scientific research or for selective breeding in captivity. In some cases, it may also be done for conservation purposes to introduce new genetic diversity into a population.

4. What are the challenges of hybridizing asses and zebras?

One of the main challenges of hybridizing asses and zebras is the genetic incompatibility between the two species. This can result in offspring with health issues and decreased survival rates. Additionally, the hybrid offspring are often infertile, making it difficult to continue the hybridization process.

5. Are there any potential benefits to hybridizing asses and zebras?

Some potential benefits of hybridizing asses and zebras include introducing new genetic traits into a population, potentially increasing genetic diversity and resilience. Additionally, studying these hybrids can provide valuable insights into the genetic and physiological differences between the two species.

Back