Hubble lookback time based on energy density.

In summary, the Hubble lookback time for a flat universe with no matter and a density of 10^133 eV/m would be 14.4 billion years.
toughcanesrock

Homework Statement

If the energy density of the vacuum were the value 10^133 eV/m^3 , what would the value of the Hubble lookback time be for such a universe with no curvature and no other matter?

Homework Equations

Possible equation...

...Lookback time = ln(1+z)/H

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what to assume for z? And should I convert the energy density to kg/m^3. I am very confused, any direction for this question would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us what you mean by Hubble lookback time.

Do you mean how far back in time a specific telescope e.g. the HST can see?

There is also a well-defined conventional quantity known as the Hubble time
it is not a "lookback" time and it is not associated with any particular telescope. It is just 1/H where H is the usual Hubble expansion rate "constant" (which is actually not constant over time)
The current value of the Hubble time is about 14.4 billion years.
Not to be confused with any "lookback" time.

Last edited:
R
marcus said:
There is also a well-defined conventional quantity known as the Hubble time
it is not a "lookback" time and it is not associated with any particular telescope. It is just 1/H where H is the usual Hubble expansion rate "constant" (which is actually not constant over time)
The current value of the Hubble time is about 14.4 billion years.
Not to be confused with any "lookback" time.

Right. So what my professor wants to know is what is the lookback time for a flat universe, with no matter, and a density of 10^133 eV/m . Would you know how to go about starting this? OmegaM would be 0 and OmegaK would be 0 right?

I'm not the right person to help you. In my universe "lookback" time doesn't mean anything unless you specify a telescope or an object you are looking at. If your professor were asking about the Hubble time then I would know how to proceed.

I would just multiply the energydensity by 8piG/3c^2 and that would give me H^2 and then the Hubble time is just 1/H and we're done.
It would be a simple application of the Friedmann equation and the Hubble time is constant in that situation.

marcus said:
I'm not the right person to help you. In my universe "lookback" time doesn't mean anything unless you specify a telescope or an object you are looking at. If your professor were asking about the Hubble time then I would know how to proceed.

I would just multiply the energydensity by 8piG/3c^2 and that would give me H^2 and then the Hubble time is just 1/H and we're done.
It would be a simple application of the Friedmann equation and the Hubble time is constant in that situation.
I think I will just do that, as that is what some of my peers are doing. Thanks so much for the assistance.

Related to Hubble lookback time based on energy density.

1. What is Hubble lookback time based on energy density?

Hubble lookback time based on energy density is a measure of how far back in time we can see using the Hubble Space Telescope. It is based on the amount of energy detected from distant objects, which allows us to estimate how long it took for the light to reach us.

2. How is Hubble lookback time based on energy density calculated?

The calculation for Hubble lookback time based on energy density involves using the Hubble constant, which is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. By knowing this rate, we can estimate how long it would have taken for the light from distant objects to reach us.

3. What is the significance of Hubble lookback time based on energy density?

Hubble lookback time based on energy density allows us to look back in time and study the evolution of the universe. By observing distant objects, we can learn about the early stages of the universe and how it has changed over time.

4. How does Hubble lookback time based on energy density impact our understanding of the universe?

Hubble lookback time based on energy density has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe. By studying distant objects, we can observe the universe as it was billions of years ago and gain insight into its formation and evolution.

5. Is there a limit to how far back in time we can see using Hubble lookback time based on energy density?

Yes, there is a limit to how far back in time we can see using Hubble lookback time based on energy density. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes distant objects to appear fainter and harder to detect. The current limit is estimated to be about 13.8 billion years, which is the age of the universe.