How you can say if a line integral will be independant ot a given path

In summary, the line integral of a vector function is independent of the path if there exists a real-valued function that satisfies certain conditions. In this case, the vector field must be conservative and the mixed second derivatives of the corresponding function must be equal.
gl0ck

Homework Statement

Here is my problem :
Screenshotfrom2014-05-09095713_zpsa598e6e1.png

so far I've solved the line integral but I don't know what is the condition that must be met in order to be independant of the path given.
I found the line integral to be: 27/28

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try an other path between points (0,0,0) and (1,1,1) . What about a straight line, connecting them?

ehild

If the Curl of the vector field = 0 it is conservative and hence path independent.

How would you find the curl of the vector field?

Feodalherren said:
If the Curl of the vector field = 0 it is conservative and hence path independent.

How would you find the curl of the vector field?

Open your text and look in the index for "curl"? Or Google it? Or look at the links given in post #2?

LCKurtz said:
Open your text and look in the index for "curl"? Or Google it? Or look at the links given in post #2?

I'm not the one looking for help, I was trying to give it :).

Feodalherren said:
I'm not the one looking for help, I was trying to give it :).

Woops! My bad. Well with all the hints, maybe the OP will sometime return to the thread.

The integral of a vector function, [itex]\vec{F}[/itex], is independent of the path if and only if it is "a derivative". That is, if there exist a real-valued a function, f, such that [itex]\nabla\cdot f= \vec{F}[/itex]. That will be true for this vector function if [itex]f_x= xy[/itex], [itex]f_y= yz[/itex], and [itex]f_z= xz[/itex].

We can check if that is true by looking at the mixed second derivatives: [itex]f_{xy}= x[/itex] and [itex]f_{yx}= z[/itex]. Those are NOT the same so this function is NOT independent of the path.

Related to How you can say if a line integral will be independant ot a given path

1. How do you determine if a line integral is independent of a given path?

The independence of a line integral from a given path can be determined by calculating the integral along two different paths and comparing the results. If the values are the same, the integral is independent of the path.

2. Can a line integral be both dependent and independent of a path?

No, a line integral can only be either dependent or independent of a path. It cannot be both.

3. Is the path independence of a line integral affected by the orientation of the path?

Yes, the path independence of a line integral is affected by the orientation of the path. The integral will have a different value if the path is reversed.

4. What is the significance of a line integral being independent of a path?

If a line integral is independent of a path, it means that the path chosen does not affect the value of the integral. This makes it easier to evaluate the integral as it can be calculated along any convenient path.

5. How can the independence of a line integral from a given path be visually represented?

The independence of a line integral from a given path can be visually represented by plotting the function being integrated on a graph and showing two different paths with the same starting and ending points. If the line integral has the same value along both paths, it is independent of the path.