How would I split this vector?

In summary, the conversation is about a question on inclined planes and centripetal acceleration. The person is having trouble splitting the force into its x and y components and using the 60 degrees to find these components. They have drawn diagrams and are trying to understand the relationship between the angles. The purple angle is 60 degrees and the blue angle is 30 degrees. The person is grateful for the help and admits to not being good at geometry.
nesan

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm doing a question on inclined planes and centripetal acceleration. I understand the question and what it's asking for, I'm just having trouble splitting F into it's x and y components and how 60 degrees related to it. Any help would be appreciated.
I've drawn multiple diagrams I just can't figure out how to use the 60 degrees to find the x and y components, which would help me finished this question.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force makes 90 degree angle with the slope. F is the sum of a horizontal and vertical component, drawn according to vector addition. The purple angle is 60° (why?) So what is the blue angle?

splitforce.JPG

ehild said:
The force makes 90 degree angle with the slope. F is the sum of a horizontal and vertical component, drawn according to vector addition. The purple angle is 60° (why?) So what is the blue angle?

View attachment 75290
Ohh the Z pattern.
Blue would be 30.

OMG thank you. Not very good at geometry. :P

Related to How would I split this vector?

1. How do I split a vector into two parts?

To split a vector into two parts, you can use the "split" function in your programming language of choice. This function allows you to specify the size or index at which you want to split the vector, and it will return the two resulting parts as separate vectors.

2. Can I split a vector into more than two parts?

Yes, you can split a vector into as many parts as you want by using the "split" function multiple times. Each time, you can specify the size or index at which you want to split the vector, and it will return the resulting parts as separate vectors.

3. How do I know the resulting parts are equal in size?

If you are using the "split" function, you can specify the size at which you want to split the vector. This will ensure that the resulting parts are equal in size. You can also check the size of each resulting part using the "length" function.

4. Can I split a vector into non-equal parts?

Yes, you can specify the size at which you want to split the vector, even if it results in non-equal parts. You can also use the "slice" function to specify the specific elements you want in each part, which can result in non-equal parts.

5. What if I want to split a vector into both a training and test set?

To split a vector into a training and test set, you can use the "sample" function to randomly select a specified number of elements from the vector. This will create a training set with those elements and a test set with the remaining elements. You can also use the "train_test_split" function if it is available in your programming language of choice.