How/when can I take a wave function and its complex conjugate as independent?

In summary, the last step in the derivation of the Gross-Pitaevskii equation involves showing that two specific terms, gNhφ+gN^2φ*φ^2-Nμφ and Nφ*h+gN^2(φ^2)*φ-Nμφ*, are both equal to zero. This is done by setting an arbitrary function η and using a specific equation to show that both terms must equal zero. There is no need to make any assumptions about the ground state function φ.
SiggyYo
For the last step in the derivation of the Gross-Pitaevskii equation, we have the following equation
[itex]0=\int \eta^*(gNh\phi+gN^2\phi^*\phi^2-N\mu\phi)\ dV+\int (N\phi^*h+gN^2(\phi^2)^*\phi-N\mu\phi^*)\eta\ dV,[/itex]
where [itex]\eta[/itex] is an arbitrary function, [itex]g,N,\mu[/itex] are constants, [itex]h[/itex] is the hamiltonian for the harmonic oscillator and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the ground state of the hamiltonian.

Now, the last step involves seeing that this can only be the case if [itex]gNh\phi+gN^2\phi^*\phi^2-N\mu\phi[/itex] and [itex]N\phi^*h+gN^2(\phi^2)^*\phi-N\mu\phi^*[/itex] are both zero. As far as I can tell, I would need an argument that [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\phi^*[/itex] are independent for this to be true.

Can anyone explain why this is the case (or in case I'm wrong, explain what else I need to consider)?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Write it as ∫ η* A dV + ∫ η B dV = 0, and let η = α + i β where α, β are arbitrary real functions. Then ∫ [α (A + B) + β (-iA + iB)] dV = 0. This can only happen if A + B and A - B are both zero, in other words A and B are both zero. You don't have to assume anything about φ.

Related to How/when can I take a wave function and its complex conjugate as independent?

1. How is a wave function and its complex conjugate related?

The complex conjugate of a wave function is obtained by taking the complex conjugate of each term in the wave function. This is done by replacing each imaginary unit (i) with its negative counterpart (-i). The complex conjugate is used to calculate probabilities and is essential in quantum mechanics.

2. Can a wave function and its complex conjugate be taken as independent?

Yes, a wave function and its complex conjugate can be taken as independent entities. They have different physical interpretations and serve different purposes in quantum mechanics. However, they are mathematically related and cannot be completely separated.

3. When can a wave function and its complex conjugate be taken as independent?

A wave function and its complex conjugate can be taken as independent when they are used for different calculations or interpretations. For example, the wave function is used to describe the state of a system, while the complex conjugate is used to calculate probabilities. In this case, they can be considered independent.

4. Why is the complex conjugate necessary in quantum mechanics?

The complex conjugate is necessary in quantum mechanics because it allows for the calculation of probabilities. In quantum mechanics, the square of the wave function represents the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. The complex conjugate is used to obtain the square of the wave function and thus determine the probability.

5. How does taking the complex conjugate affect the wave function?

Taking the complex conjugate does not change the overall shape or form of the wave function. However, it does change the sign of the imaginary part of the wave function. This is necessary for calculating probabilities, as the square of the wave function must always be a positive real number.