How Well Do You Understand Gauss's Law?

In summary, Gauss's law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. From the given options, it can be ruled out that the electric field is always zero on the Gaussian surface (B) and always parallel to the surface (D). It can also be ruled out that a charge placed outside the surface cannot affect the electric field on the surface (E). The correct answer is either C or A, as the integral can be zero if the charge inside is zero (C) or if the electric field is due to all charges in the universe (A). However, it cannot be determined with certainty which is the correct answer.
roflcopter
Consider Gauss's law: [tex]
\oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{a} =\frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex] . Which of the following is true?

A. E Must be the electric field due to the enclosed charge

B. If q=0 then E=0 everywhere on the Gaussian surface

C. If the charge inside consists of an electric dipole, then the integral is zero

D. E is everywhere parallel to dA along the surface

E. If a charge is placed outside the surface, then it cannot affect E on the surface.
The attempt at a solution

I've ruled out B: Because I can have a point charge outside the Gaussian surface and so E is not zero necessarily at the surface since it will create an E field.

I've ruled out D: Because I can have a cube and E will not always be parallel to the 6 sides. Only case I can think of E being always parallel to dA is for a sphere.

I've ruled out E: Because this is similar to B. The external charge will create an E field of E=kQ/r^2.

So I say the answer is C since q(enclosed) will be zero leaving the integral equal to zero. Or, the answer could be A since isn't that kind of the definition of Gauss's law anyways? Or well, I guess not since we could have a Gaussian surface with no charge in it and a charge outside with E=kQ/r^2. So, the E vector in the integral is not necessarily due to the charge inside the Gaussian surface, right?

I don't think I'm supposed to have multiple answers though...not sure. I'm leaning more towards answer C.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like A. E is the electric field due to all charges in the universe, not just the ones inside. As you said in your comment on B.

I would say that the correct answer is A. Gauss's law states that the electric field flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed charge. This means that the electric field at any point on the surface is due to the charge enclosed within that surface. Therefore, A is the most accurate and comprehensive answer.

Answer B is not always true because, as you mentioned, an external charge can still create an electric field on the surface.

Answer C is not necessarily true. The integral may not be zero if the charge inside consists of an electric dipole because the electric field from the dipole may not be symmetric with the surface.

Answer D is not true because, as you mentioned, the electric field may not always be parallel to the surface.

Answer E is not true because an external charge can still affect the electric field on the surface.

Related to How Well Do You Understand Gauss's Law?

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that relates the electric fields at the surface of a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It is a mathematical representation of the relationship between electric charges and electric fields.

2. Who developed Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law was developed by German mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss in the early 19th century. He first published it in 1835 in his work "General Investigations of Curved Surfaces."

3. How is Gauss's Law expressed mathematically?

Gauss's Law is expressed mathematically as ∮E⃗⋅dA⃗ = Q/ε0, where ∮E⃗⋅dA⃗ represents the electric flux through a closed surface, Q is the total charge enclosed within that surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. What is the significance of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law has many practical applications in physics and engineering, including in the study of electric fields and in the design of electrical systems. It also helps to understand the behavior of electric charges and their interactions with each other.

5. What are some limitations of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is only applicable to static electric fields and cannot be used to analyze dynamic situations. It also assumes that the electric field is uniform over the surface of the closed surface and does not take into account the effects of non-uniform fields. Additionally, it only applies to systems in which the total charge is known or can be easily calculated.