How was this Naval ship raised?

• Thread starter pallidin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    naval Ship
In summary, a recently sunken South Korean naval ship was raised using a recovery/salvage barge, which is a giant floating crane. Buoys may also be used to assist in the lifting process. Divers may also dig a channel underneath the sunken vessel to wrap chains and cables for eventual lift.
pallidin
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pallidin said:
I was just doing my rounds on internet news and I came across this picture of a recently sunken South Korean naval ship being raised.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/0...-torpedo-likely-sank-warship/?test=latestnews

Does anyone know what type of vessel is used for doing something like this?

Thanks.

I think it's called a recovery/salvage barge ... its basically a giant floating crane. I have no idea how it is ballasted in order to avoid tipping over, but the whole thing is rather impressive. You can see full shots of it in this video:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/19161526

Last edited by a moderator:
I think also in order to raise it so the crane can lift it, they use giant buoys if you like to raise it to a sufficient depth.

Thanks Spectra!
That's an awesome vid. Very impressive floating crane.

Simon Malzard said:
I think also in order to raise it so the crane can lift it, they use giant buoys if you like to raise it to a sufficient depth.

Yeah, I've heard about some serious underwater inflatable balloons to assist recovery efforts. Not sure if used here(I've heard that sometimes divers dig a channel underneath a sunken vessel to wrap chains and cables for eventual lift).
And the crane vid by Spectra rocks!

Related to How was this Naval ship raised?

1. How was this Naval ship raised?

The Naval ship was raised using a method called "salvage." Salvage is the process of recovering a ship or other sea vessel that has sunk or run aground. It typically involves using a combination of specialized equipment, such as cranes and pumps, to refloat the ship and bring it back to the surface.

2. What techniques were used to raise the Naval ship?

The techniques used to raise a Naval ship vary depending on the specific circumstances, such as the size and depth of the ship, as well as the condition of the ship. Some common techniques include patching any holes or breaches in the hull, pumping out water using specialized pumps, and using cranes or lifting bags to slowly raise the ship to the surface.

3. How long does it take to raise a Naval ship?

The length of time it takes to raise a Naval ship can vary greatly depending on the size and condition of the ship, as well as the resources and techniques used. In some cases, a ship may be raised within a matter of days, while in other cases it may take weeks or even months to complete the salvage process.

4. What challenges are faced when raising a Naval ship?

Raising a Naval ship can be a complex and challenging process, as there are many factors that can affect the success of the salvage operation. Some common challenges include adverse weather conditions, difficult underwater terrain, and the potential for further damage to the ship during the salvage process.

5. What happens to the Naval ship after it is raised?

After a Naval ship is successfully raised, it is typically towed to a nearby port or shipyard for further inspection and repairs. Depending on the extent of the damage and the value of the ship, it may be repaired and put back into service, or it may be decommissioned and scrapped. In some cases, a raised ship may also be used for training purposes or as a museum display.