How was the Taylor expansion for SSB in superconductors done?

In summary, the author is discussing the potential for a complex scalar field to exist in a superconductor. The field can be expanded around the eigenvalue eta, and the modulus can be determined using the expression \phi(x) = |\phi(x)| e^{i \alpha(x)} = (\eta + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \phi(x)) e^{i \alpha(x)}
LayMuon
I am reading about spontaneous symmtry breaking for superconductors and came a cross to this simple statement:

Here is the potential for complex scalar field: [itex] V = 1/2 \lambda^2 (|\phi|^2 -\eta^2)^2 [/itex].
Scalar field is small and we can expand its modulus around [itex] \eta [/itex]:

[tex]

\phi(x) = |\phi(x)| e^{i \alpha(x)} = (\eta + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \phi(x)) e^{i \alpha(x)}
[/tex]

How did he do that expansion?

Physics news on Phys.org
If that's just an expansion, then where did that ##\eta## come from? What is the relationship between ##\eta## and ##\phi##?

I might help to provide an exact reference. Link directly to the relevant page at google books if that's possible.

LayMuon said:
I am reading about spontaneous symmtry breaking for superconductors and came a cross to this simple statement:

Here is the potential for complex scalar field: [itex] V = 1/2 \lambda^2 (|\phi|^2 -\eta^2)^2 [/itex].
Scalar field is small and we can expand its modulus around [itex] \eta [/itex]:

[tex]

\phi(x) = |\phi(x)| e^{i \alpha(x)} = (\eta + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \phi(x)) e^{i \alpha(x)}
[/tex]

How did he do that expansion?

This expression is using ##\phi## for two related, but different quantities. It would be better to rewrite this as

[tex]

\phi(x) = |\phi(x)| e^{i \alpha(x)} = (\eta + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \rho(x)) e^{i \alpha(x)}.
[/tex]

This formula defines a real scalar field ##\rho##. You might try to rewrite the potential in terms of ##\rho## to get an idea of why one might want to do this field redefinition.

You are right, I think it was wrong in the text, there was no mentioning of this newly defined real field, no notation change, so I got confused.

Fredrik said:
If that's just an expansion, then where did that ##\eta## come from? What is the relationship between ##\eta## and ##\phi##?

I might help to provide an exact reference. Link directly to the relevant page at google books if that's possible.

here is the attachment with that page from the book.

Attachments

• mmm1.pdf
    115.3 KB · Views: 267
The book uses ##\varphi## (\varphi in TeX) to distinguish the newly defined field from ##\phi##. I almost used it too, but figured the redefinition would be clearer with a completely different symbol.

fzero said:
The book uses ##\varphi## (\varphi in TeX) to distinguish the newly defined field from ##\phi##. I almost used it too, but figured the redefinition would be clearer with a completely different symbol.

Yes, I was confused. For me phi is phi. it's interested how brain doesn't notice the difference even with close inspection.

Related to How was the Taylor expansion for SSB in superconductors done?

1. What is the purpose of using Taylor expansion for SSB?

The Taylor expansion is used to approximate a complicated function with a simpler one. In the case of SSB (single sideband) modulation, it allows for the reconstruction of the original signal from the upper or lower sideband.

2. How is Taylor expansion applied to SSB?

In SSB modulation, the original signal is multiplied by a carrier frequency, resulting in a complex signal. The Taylor expansion is then used to approximate this complex signal with a simpler one, which can then be easily demodulated to reconstruct the original signal.

3. What are the benefits of using Taylor expansion for SSB?

Using Taylor expansion for SSB allows for a more efficient use of bandwidth, as only one sideband is transmitted instead of both. This results in a more efficient use of power and a reduction in interference with other signals.

4. Are there any limitations to using Taylor expansion for SSB?

One limitation is that the use of Taylor expansion can introduce distortion in the reconstructed signal. This distortion is more significant for signals with high frequencies or large bandwidths.

5. How is Taylor expansion for SSB different from other modulation techniques?

Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used specifically for SSB modulation. Other modulation techniques, such as AM (amplitude modulation) and FM (frequency modulation), use different mathematical principles to transmit information. Each technique has its own advantages and limitations.