How to write Matlab code for a multivariate Beta distribution

In summary, the conversation is about sampling two unknown probabilities, p and q, from Beta distributions and then sampling them jointly from a multivariate Beta distribution. The code provided includes methods for sampling p and q individually from Beta distributions and the Dirichlet distribution, but the speaker is unsure how to sample them jointly from the Dirichlet distribution. The overall goal is to use these methods in a Gibbs sampler for a larger problem.
glacier302
Hello,

I am working on a problem in which I first sample two unknown probabilities, p and q, from Beta distributions, and then I want to sample both of them at the same time from a multivariate Beta distribution.

This is the code that I have for sampling p and q individually from Beta distributions (I have already defined a, b, c, d, x, n, and s):

p=betarnd(a+x,b+n-x);
q=betarnd(c+s,d+x+2*(n-x)-s)

Now I'm trying to figure out how to sample p and q jointly from a multivariate Beta distribution.

I know that the Dirichlet distribution is a generalization of the multivariate Beta distribution, and after searching online, I think that I can sample p and q individually from the Dirichlet distribution by doing the following:

alpha_p = [a+x b+n-x];
alpha_q=[c+s d+x+2*(n-x)-s];

d_p=gamrnd(alpha_p, 1);
theta_p=d_p./sum(d_p);

d_q=gamrnd(alpha_q, 1);
theta_q=d_q./sum(d_q);

This results in 2x1 vectors theta_p and theta_q, with the entries in each vector adding up to 1. I'm letting p equal the first entry of theta_p, and q equal the first entry of theta_q.

I'm not sure if this is the right method for the multivariate Beta distribution, but even if it is,
I still don't know how to sample p and q from the Dirichlet distribution at the same time.

Any help would be much appreciated : )

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it would help if I provided more information about the problem:

I'm working on a Gibbs sampler problem. For the regular Gibbs sampler, I used beta distributions to sample the probabilities p and q. I have a vector I that I'm updating at each iteration, which depends on the current values of p and q.

Now I'm trying to write the code for the blocked Gibbs sampler, so I want to sample p and q at the same time instead of individually (right?) I figured that since I used the beta distribution to sample p and q individually, I should use the multivariate beta distribution (dirichlet) to sample them jointly. But I'm not sure how to do this.

This is my code for the regular Gibbs sampler:

a=1;
b=10;
c=10;
d=10;
Data=dlmread('Data.txt');
J=5000;

I=(Data~=1);
n=length(I);

k=1;

for j=1:J

x=sum(I);
s=sum(Data.*(2*ones(n,1)-I)./2);
p=betarnd(a+x,b+n-x);
q=betarnd(c+s,d+x+2*(n-x)-s);

I = -ones(n,1);

for i=1:n

if Data(i)==0
r=rand(1,1);
if r<p*(1-q)/(p*(1-q)+(1-p)*(1-q)^2)
I(i)=1;
else
I(i)=0;
end
end

if Data(i)==1
I(i)=0;
end

if Data(i)==2
r=rand(1,1);
if r<p*q/(p*q+(1-p)*q^2)
I(i)=1;
else
I(i)=0;
end
end

end

if any(I==-1)
warning('sample failed');
end

k=k+1;

end

Any help would be much appreciated!

Related to How to write Matlab code for a multivariate Beta distribution

1. What is the multivariate Beta distribution in Matlab?

The multivariate Beta distribution in Matlab is a probability distribution that models the joint distribution of multiple random variables that are constrained to be between 0 and 1. It is a generalization of the traditional Beta distribution and is commonly used in statistical analysis and machine learning tasks.

2. How do I generate random numbers from a multivariate Beta distribution in Matlab?

To generate random numbers from a multivariate Beta distribution in Matlab, you can use the mvnrnd function. This function takes as input the mean vector and covariance matrix of the distribution, and returns a matrix of random numbers with the specified dimensions.

3. Can I plot a multivariate Beta distribution in Matlab?

Yes, you can plot a multivariate Beta distribution in Matlab using the mvnpdf function. This function takes as input the mean vector and covariance matrix of the distribution, and returns a matrix of probabilities for each point in the distribution. You can then use the surf or contour functions to visualize the distribution.

4. How do I calculate the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of a multivariate Beta distribution in Matlab?

To calculate the CDF of a multivariate Beta distribution in Matlab, you can use the mvncdf function. This function takes as input the mean vector and covariance matrix of the distribution, and a vector of upper bounds for each random variable. It then returns the CDF values for each point in the distribution.

5. What is the best way to fit a multivariate Beta distribution to data in Matlab?

The best way to fit a multivariate Beta distribution to data in Matlab is to use the mvnfit function. This function takes as input a matrix of data points and returns the estimated mean vector and covariance matrix for the distribution that best fits the data. You can then use these parameters to generate random numbers or calculate probabilities from the distribution.