How to write main and sub objective for optimisation

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of properly writing down two objective functions and determining the main objective and sub-objective. The only idea mentioned so far was to rewrite the objective as a single function, but it was acknowledged that this may not work in all cases. The conversation also mentioned a relevant link on stackexchange and discussed the concept of preference relations in economics. The conversation ended with a suggestion to search for "multi-criteria optimization" and "lexicographic multi-criteria optimization" to find more information on the topic.
Dominik Tugend
I have had this problem that I didn't know how to write it properly in this thread.

Let's say I have two objective functions:
  1. minimize X
  2. minimize Y
Let's say I want 1. as main objective and 2. a sub objective - by that I mean if there is a set of optimal solutions for 1., then final solution can only be from that set and in such a way that it's the best for 2 from all of that set for 1.

My problem is I don't know how to write this down properly.

The only idea I have had so far doesn't work in all cases:
If [itex]0 \leq Y \leq C[/itex] and [itex]C \in \mathbb{R}_{\geq 0}[/itex], then I could rewrite the objective as
minimize X*(C+1) +Y

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Dominik Tugend said:
I have had this problem that I didn't know how to write it properly in this thread.

Let's say I have two objective functions:
  1. minimize X
  2. minimize Y
Let's say I want 1. as main objective and 2. a sub objective - by that I mean if there is a set of optimal solutions for 1., then final solution can only be from that set and in such a way that it's the best for 2 from all of that set for 1.

My problem is I don't know how to write this down properly.

The only idea I have had so far doesn't work in all cases:
If [itex]0 \leq Y \leq C[/itex] and [itex]C \in \mathbb{R}_{\geq 0}[/itex], then I could rewrite the objective as
minimize X*(C+1) +Y

You made the correct conclusion from the link on stackexchange. (As to the details on stackexchange - those posters know more about the question that I do.) However, if your are dealing with a problem in physics, your "preference relation" might be much simpler than such a thing is in theoretical economics. The preference relations in economics try to express human whims. (e.g. "I'd rather have 2 houses, 6 cars, 1 dog and 1 cat rather than have 3 houses, 4 cars, no dogs, and 1 cat".)

The most general way of writing the objective is to write it in a way that would translate into a "two pass" algorithm. You did that in words. You could make your statement look fancier by using more mathematical notation.

Let ##F## be the set of feasible solutions for the problem. Let ##S_x## be the set of solutions that minimize ##X(s)##, i.e. Let ##m_X = min\{ X(s): s \in F\}## and ##S_X = \{s: X(s) = m\}##. Then let ##S## be the subset of ##S_x## that minimizes ##Y(s)##, i.e. Let ##m_Y = min\{Y(s):s \in S_X\}## and ##S = \{s:Y(s)=m_Y\}##.

In special situations, you can attain the goal "2. minimize ##Y(s)##" by expressing it (or some property related to it) as a constraint on the problem "1. minimize ##X(s)##".

The relevant terminology for doing an internet search on the general question is "multi-criteria optimization" and "lexicographic multi-criteria optimization".

Your specific goal seems to be to express the problem as a problem of minimizing a single function ##F(s)##. How to do that (and whether it is possible) depends on the specific details of problem.

(Looking on the bright side, most of mathematics consists of finding interesting situations where things that are not always possible in general become possible.)

Likes Dominik Tugend
Thank you very much for your reply :-)

Related to How to write main and sub objective for optimisation

1. What is the purpose of writing main and sub objectives for optimization?

Writing main and sub objectives for optimization helps to clearly define the goals and desired outcomes of the optimization process. It allows for a focused and structured approach, making it easier to measure progress and make necessary adjustments.

2. How do you determine the main objectives for optimization?

The main objectives for optimization should be determined based on the specific problem or challenge that needs to be addressed. This could involve conducting a thorough analysis, identifying key performance indicators, and setting realistic and measurable goals.

3. What is the difference between main and sub objectives?

Main objectives are the primary goals that need to be achieved through optimization, while sub objectives are the smaller, more specific tasks that contribute to the overall main objectives. Sub objectives should align with and support the main objectives.

4. How do you write effective sub objectives for optimization?

To write effective sub objectives for optimization, they should be specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART). They should also be aligned with the main objectives and contribute to the overall goal of the optimization process.

5. Can main and sub objectives change during the optimization process?

Yes, main and sub objectives can change during the optimization process. As new information is gathered and progress is made, it may be necessary to adjust the objectives to better align with the desired outcome. It is important to regularly review and reassess objectives to ensure they are still relevant and achievable.