How to Write Down w* in Polar Form for a Given Complex Number?

In summary, the individual is having difficulty converting a complex number in polar form, with a modulus of 3 and an argument of pi/3, to cartesian form. They are unsure of the notation used and what is meant by the "*" symbol, but they have been able to successfully convert the number to cartesian form by changing the sign of the argument and the imaginary component.
andrey21

Homework Statement

Hi guys I have been given a question, write down w* in polar form where w=2< -(pi/3). I can work out the question when it is in cartesian form just not this way, any help woud be great.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "<" mean??

Not entirely sure that's just the way it is shown in the question. All i know is when i converted it to cartesian form it became 1 - SQRT3 i

You have left two things ambiguous. As arilno implied "<" is not a standard notation but I am going to assume that you meant the complex number is written in the polar form with modulus r= 3 and angle, or "argument", [itex]\theta= \pi/3[/itex].

The other thing that is ambiguous is the *. I am going to assume that you mean "complex conjugate" which is more commonly written [itex]\overline{w}[/itex].

The connection between "Cartesian representation" and "polar representation" is [itex]z= x+ iy= r (cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] or, equivalently, [itex]z=x+ iy= r e^{i\theta}[/itex] The complex conjugate is gotten, basically, by changing the sign on "i":
[itex]\overline{z}= x- iy= r (cos(\theta)- i sin(\theta))[/itex] which, because cosine is an even function and sine is an odd function, can be written [itex]\overline{z}= x- iy= r (cos(\theta)- i sin(\theta))[/itex][itex]= cos(-\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex].

Similarly, from [itex]z= x+ iy= r e^{i\theta}[/itex], [itex]\overline{z}= x- iy= r e^{-i\theta}[/itex].

In either case, the complex number given by modulus r and argument [itex]\theta[/itex] has complex conjugate given by modulus r and argument [itex]-\theta[/itex].

Related to How to Write Down w* in Polar Form for a Given Complex Number?

1. What is "Write down w* in polar form"?

"Write down w* in polar form" is a mathematical instruction that asks you to express a complex number in polar form. It involves writing the number in terms of its magnitude (or absolute value) and its angle.

2. How do you convert a complex number into polar form?

To convert a complex number into polar form, you need to first find its magnitude by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its real and imaginary parts. Then, you can find the angle by taking the inverse tangent of the imaginary part divided by the real part. The polar form will be in the form of (magnitude, angle).

3. Why is it useful to write a complex number in polar form?

Writing a complex number in polar form can make it easier to perform mathematical operations, such as multiplication and division. It also helps to visualize the number in terms of its magnitude and angle, which can be useful in certain applications.

4. Can a complex number have multiple polar forms?

Yes, a complex number can have multiple polar forms. This is because the angle in polar form is not unique. It can be expressed in degrees or radians, and can have multiple values depending on the quadrant in which the complex number lies.

5. How do you simplify a complex number in polar form?

To simplify a complex number in polar form, you can use basic trigonometric identities to simplify the angle. You can also convert the number back to rectangular form if needed.