How to work out Electrical Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations and formulas related to electrical energy, including power, current, voltage, and time. The formula for energy is E=Pt and it can also be calculated using the formula E=ITV. The conversation also mentions using the symbol "Q" for energy in some equations. A scenario involving an electric water heater is also mentioned, with questions about energy output and heating time.
LatexZone

Homework Statement

Can you please give me some questions and I will see if I can work out the electrical energy?

Homework Equations

This is what I am going to be working from (Please tell me if it's not correct):

Energy = Power x Time OR E=Pt
Power = Current x Voltage OR P=IV
Substitute
Energy = Current x Time x Voltage OR E=ITV

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that's correct

ps. In electrical stuff you generally use 'Q' for energy, because E can also mean voltage or electric field in some equations

Thanks for verifying, but can you give me any scenarios (questions) where I can use the formula to work out the answer?

Electric water heater?

You have 230V and 13Amps, how much energy/sec does it put into 1kg of water?
How long does it take to heat 1kg of water form 20C to 100C ?

Less than 2 minutes.

Related to How to work out Electrical Energy

1. What is electrical energy?

Electrical energy is a form of energy resulting from the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, through a conductor. It is commonly used to power devices and appliances in our daily lives.

2. How is electrical energy calculated?

The formula for calculating electrical energy is E = P x t, where E is the energy in joules, P is the power in watts, and t is the time in seconds. For example, if a device uses 100 watts of power for 2 hours, the electrical energy consumed would be 200 joules.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrical energy?

The unit for electrical energy is the joule, which is equivalent to one watt-second. However, in practical applications, electrical energy is often measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) for larger amounts of energy.

4. How does electrical energy differ from electrical power?

Electrical energy is the total amount of energy consumed or produced, while electrical power is the rate at which energy is used or produced. In other words, electrical energy is a measurement of the total amount of work done, while electrical power is a measurement of the rate at which the work is done.

5. What are some examples of devices or appliances that use electrical energy?

Some common examples of devices and appliances that use electrical energy include light bulbs, refrigerators, televisions, computers, and smartphones. Power plants also produce electrical energy to power homes and businesses.