How to use the function pi in maple

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help on how to use the function pi in Maple for a statistical mechanics assignment. They mention trying the Maple help function, but it only gives them the number pi. Another person suggests using the product function with a specific formula.
mcpreston
Maple Help!

could anyone tell me how to use the function pi in maple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/math/e66964312bccf80023e4815edd53a542.png
i need to figure it out for a statistical mechanics assignment.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
or if anyone knows where i might be able to find help on this could u tell me please. I've tried the help in the maple program but it only gives me the number pi when i search pi.

It's (obviously) under the name 'product'.
Try this:
product(1+1/i, i=2..6);

thanks so much, i was searching multiplication and pi and couldn't find anything.

Related to How to use the function pi in maple

1. How do I use the function pi in maple?

The function pi in maple can be used by simply typing "pi" into the maple command prompt. This will return the numerical value of pi, which is approximately 3.14159.

2. Can I use the function pi in maple to calculate the circumference of a circle?

Yes, you can use the function pi in maple to calculate the circumference of a circle. The formula for calculating the circumference of a circle is C = 2πr, where r is the radius. You can input this formula into maple, replacing "π" with "pi", and it will calculate the circumference for you.

3. How can I use the function pi in maple to find the area of a circle?

To find the area of a circle using the function pi in maple, you can input the formula A = πr², where r is the radius. Maple will calculate the area for you, using the numerical value of pi.

4. Is the numerical value of pi in maple exact?

No, the numerical value of pi in maple is not exact. It is an approximation of the true value of pi, which is an irrational number with an infinite number of decimal places. However, the numerical value in maple is accurate enough for most calculations.

5. Can I change the numerical value of pi in maple?

Yes, you can change the numerical value of pi in maple by using the "evalf" command. This allows you to specify the number of decimal places you want to use for pi. For example, "evalf(pi, 20)" would return the value of pi with 20 decimal places.