How to use the completeness relation

• Thread starter Sergio Rodriguez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, using the completeness relation expressed as an integral over a basis set of functions, it can be shown that the expectation value of an operator ##\langle \Omega \rangle## over a state ##\psi## is equal to the sum of the eigenvalues of the operator weighted by the coefficients of the expansion of the state in terms of the eigenfunctions of the operator. Additionally, using the fact that ##f## is a real function, it can be shown that ##\left(\Omega f\right)^* = \Omega f^* = -\Omega f##, which leads to the conclusion that ##\sum_n c_n^2 \omega_n^* = -\left<\Omega\right>##.
Sergio Rodriguez

Homework Statement

Show that if ##\left( \Omega f\right) ^* = -\Omega f ^* ##
then ##\left< \Omega \right> = 0 ## for any real function f. where ##\Omega## is an operator

Homework Equations

It's a self test of the completeness relation --Molecular quantum mechanics (Atkins)--
so the equation is
$$ \sum_s \left| s \right> \left< s \right| = 1 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

## \left< \Omega \right> = \left<m\left|\Omega\right|n\right>## for any functions ##f_m## and ##f_n##
if ## f_m = f_n = f ##, then ## \left<\Omega\right> = \left<f\left|\Omega\right|f\right>
##
and as f is a real function ## f^* = f##, so:
##\left( \Omega f\right) ^* = -\Omega f ^* = -\Omega f ##
##\left( \Omega f\right) ^* = \Omega^* f^* = \Omega^* f ##
so ##\Omega^* f = -\Omega f ##
##\Omega^* \left|f\right> = -\Omega \left|f\right>##
##\left<f \left| \Omega^* \right|f\right> = - \left< f\left|\Omega \right|f\right>##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sergio Rodriguez said:
## \left< \Omega \right> = \left<m\left|\Omega\right|n\right>## for any functions ##f_m## and ##f_n##
if ## f_m = f_n = f ##, then ## \left<\Omega\right> = \left<f\left|\Omega\right|f\right>##
That's not correct. The expectation value of an operator ##\langle \Omega \rangle## over a state ##\psi## is always ##\langle \Omega \rangle = \langle \psi | \Omega | \psi \rangle##. There is thus no need to assume ## f_m = f_n = f ##.
Sergio Rodriguez said:
Don't know hot to get in the Bra ket notation and relate it with ##\left<\Omega\right>##
Since you are dealing with a function ##f##, I would approach it using the completeness relation expressed as an integral over a basis set of functions ##\{\phi_n\}##. In any case, the idea is to introduce identity operators that you can then convert using the completeness relation, e.g.,
$$
\langle \psi | \Omega | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | (1 \times \Omega \times 1) | \psi \rangle = \sum_m\sum_n \langle \psi | m \rangle \langle m | \Omega | n \rangle \langle n | \psi \rangle
$$

I have do this:

As I don't know if f is an eigenfunction of Ω, I expand it as ## f = \sum_n c_nf_n## where ##f_n## are orthonormal eigenfunctions of Ω, so:

##\left<Ω\right> = \left<f\left|Ω\right|f\right> = \left<f\left|1*Ω*1\right|f\right> ##
##\sum_m\sum_n \left<f|m\right>\left<m\left|Ω\right|n\right>\left<n|f\right> = \sum_m\sum_n c_n^2 \left<m|m\right>\left<m\left|Ω\right|n\right>\left<n|n\right>##

As ## f_n ## are orthonormal the double sum become a single sum:
##\sum_n c_n^2 \left<n\left|Ω\right|n\right> = \sum_n c_n^2ω_n## where ##ω_n## are the eigenvalues, so ##\left<Ω\right> = \sum_n c_n^2ω_n ##

The second part is:

##(Ωf)^* = -Ωf^* = -Ωf ## as f is a real function
##f(Ωf)^*= -fΩf ##
##\int f(Ωf)^*\,dτ = \int -fΩf\, dτ##
##\sum_n \int c_nf_n(Ωc_nf_n)^*\,dτ = - \sum_n \int c_nf_nΩc_nf_n\, dτ##
##\sum_n c_n^2ω_n^* \int f_nf_n\,dτ = - \sum_n c_n^2ω_n \int f_nf_n\, dτ## And as ##\int f_nf_n\, dτ = 1##
##\sum_n c_n^2ω_n^* = - \sum_n c_n^2ω_n##
And as ##\sum_n c_n^2ω_n = \left<Ω\right>##
##\sum_n c_n^2ω_n^* = - \left<Ω\right>##

But I don't know how to follow it.

Last edited:
Could you tell me where in the book this is? I want to explain using the same notation and referring to particular equations.

Thank you!

It's the first chapter. Section 1.20 Matrix Elements. Example 1.9, Self-test 1.9, page 33.

Related to How to use the completeness relation

1. How do I use the completeness relation in my calculations?

The completeness relation is used to represent a complete set of basis vectors that can be used to express any vector in a given vector space. In order to use it, you must first identify the basis vectors for your vector space, then use the completeness relation to express your vector as a linear combination of these basis vectors.

2. Why is the completeness relation important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the completeness relation is crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum particles. It allows us to express the state of a particle as a linear combination of basis states, which is essential for calculating probabilities and making predictions about the particle's behavior.

3. Can the completeness relation be used in any vector space?

Yes, the completeness relation is a general concept that can be applied to any vector space. However, the specific basis vectors and coefficients used in the completeness relation will vary depending on the properties and dimensions of the vector space.

4. What is the relationship between the completeness relation and the orthogonality of basis vectors?

The completeness relation and the orthogonality of basis vectors are closely related concepts. In order for the completeness relation to hold true, the basis vectors must be orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other. This means that they are linearly independent and can be used to uniquely represent any vector in the vector space.

5. How can I prove the completeness relation for a given set of basis vectors?

The completeness relation can be proven using mathematical techniques such as the Gram-Schmidt process or the spectral theorem. It can also be shown using the properties of inner products and the projection operators associated with the basis vectors. Ultimately, the completeness relation must be verified for each specific set of basis vectors in order to use it effectively in calculations.