How to use "quote" here in PF

brotherbobby
I can use the "Reply" option when I copy someone's text and it appears.

However, when I choose the "Quote" option upon copying, maybe the text gets copied but nothing appears.

Can someone tell me how to use the "Quote" option on here?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The selected quotes are collected, then made available at the bottom of the reply window, "Insert quotes...", next to the "Attach files" button.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
Baluncore said:
The selected quotes are collected, then made available at the bottom of the reply window, next to the "Attach files" button.
Ahh thank you.

Baluncore said:
The selected quotes are collected, then made available at the bottom of the reply window, "Insert quotes...", next to the "Attach files" button.
However, the LaTeX becomes garbled.

brotherbobby said:
However, the LaTeX becomes garbled.
Does it? Refresh the page and check again. There's a latency in Latex rendering. You might be seeing that.

Orodruin said:
Edit: This is easy to show in any inner product space. Given an inner product and vectors v→=u→+w→, it holds that
Here is a quote from a different part of the forum by someone else. See how the LaTeX appears.

I provide you with a screenshot for comparison.

1715708362284.png

I just refreshed and am adding this as an edit. The math expression in the quote looks the same, as garbled.

DaveC426913 said:
Does it? Refresh the page and check again. There's a latency in Latex rendering. You might be seeing that.
No. Quote simply doesn’t work very well with LaTeX. I always use reply and delete what I don’t need.

Orodruin said:
No. Quote simply doesn’t work very well with LaTeX.
Yeah, so it seems.
Orodruin said:
I always use reply and delete what I don’t need.
But ... that won't solve the problem. Whether quoting or replying, you still end of with LaTeX inside a quote, which still doesn't work well, yes?

Orodruin said:
No. Quote simply doesn’t work very well with LaTeX. I always use reply and delete what I don’t need.
So let me try this on the different page. It has worked. Since I cannot do the same here, only a screenshot will help.

1715708776685.png

So it seems best not to drag and copy someone's text and then try either to Quote or Reply from the dropdown menu that appears. Instead, click on the Reply option on the right bottom of the response. The response opens nicely with the LaTeX intact. You may edit that response also if you want to focus on a small part of it.

I think this thread can be closed now. Thanks all.

Orodruin said:
So let me try this on the different page. It has worked. Since I cannot do the same here, only a screenshot will help.

View attachment 345246

So it seems best not to drag and copy someone's text and then try either to Quote or Reply from the dropdown menu that appears. Instead, click on the Reply option on the right bottom of the response. The response opens nicely with the LaTeX intact. You may edit that response also if you want to focus on a small part of it.

I think this thread can be closed now. Thanks all.

That is correct - LaTeX is preserved when you Reply to the whole post using the Reply button at the bottom. Any other mechanism (replying to a highlighted portion of text or either quote mechanism) drops the formatting (and some characters, I think).

brotherbobby said:
best not to drag and copy someone's text
I had a more general question. Can you copy people's texts on here without your mouse and the familiar dragging?
I mean can text be copied via the keyboard only?

brotherbobby said:
I had a more general question. Can you copy people's texts on here without your mouse and the familiar dragging?
I mean can text be copied via the keyboard only?
Depends on your browser, I think. I'm pretty sure I can click on a piece of text in Firefox and shift-cursor to extend the selection, but I'm not on my laptop at the moment to check.

No, I cannot do that on Chrome. Assuming I followed you correctly.
I mean I cannot click on your text and then use Shift+Right Arrow to copy your message.
Good idea to use FireFox because it would save a lot of time.

It works with Chrome and probably with every browser. Mark the text and use Ctrl+C to catch it. Ctrl+V releases it from the buffer. (Windows)

But this procedure destroys formatting, too.

1715741588681.png

Ibix said:
Depends on your browser, I think. I'm pretty sure I can click on a piece of text ...
You can't click on a piece of text without using your mouse to get to it.
For some reason, the OP wants to do it w/ kb only.

See if you can highlight a section of text or an image in your browser.
Ibix said:
Depends on your browser, I think. I'm pretty sure I can click on a piece of text in Firefox and shift-cursor to extend the selection, but I'm not on my laptop at the moment to check.
(Yup, works here w/Mypal browser, a fork of Firefox)

For Windows:
If you manage that, you can use CTRL C to copy it to the clipboard.
Then move the cursor to where you want to insert what you copied.
CTRL V then puts the clipboard contents at the cursor.

Please let us know if it works.

Ahh... Just used that know-it-all Google to find out how to set your Windows keyboard to act like a mouse:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+use+keyboard+instead+of+mouse+windows+10

Cheers,
Tom

Using this post as a test bed. [Chrome Version 124.0.6367.207 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

I insert some in-line ##\LaTeX##: ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##. The raw text is: ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##
Press preview (and refresh the page to get MathJax rendering). Looks good so far.

You can get your ##\LaTeX## to display withour rendering by neutering the ## introducer. The most convenient way to do this is with BB code, by changing the color of one of the # signs. You can do this with the little pallete icon (above the editting window on the left, beside the Bold and Italic icons). Or, if you toggle BB code off with the "[ ]" icon, you can do it manually like this: [COLOR=rgb(0,0,0)]#[/COLOR].

To get the BB code to stop rendering (as I did above), you can use the [PLAIN] and [/PLAIN] directives. [Generally speaking, the usual reason to muck about with this stuff is to explain how to muck about with this stuff]

I preview again after verifying that all of my quoting layers are working as expected... Yes, it still looks good.

Now I press "Post reply". The intent is to then mouse over a line containing ##\LaTeX## in this post, press quote and see what shows up when I "Insert quotes".

Stand by... editting in progress. Done.

I inserted the quote in a fresh message and copy-pasted the result into my paste buffer and then came back in to edit this post.
jbriggs444 said:
I insert some in-line LATEX: 11−v2/c2. The raw text is: ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##
Yes indeed, the ##\LaTeX## has been neutered during the copy/paste operation.

##\LaTeX## (##\LaTeX##) was neutered to "LATEX"
##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}## (##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##) was neutered to "11-v2/c2"

That has always been my experience. My practice is to reply, quoting the entire message and trim away the irrelevant content before posting.

Now to go back and repair the relativistic ##\gamma## that I initially got wrong. Done.

Edit...

I remember hearing about a way to quote ##\LaTeX## directly. And sure enough. Right click on the formula and you get a menu:
1715887661987.png

What got copied into the paste buffer was "\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}"
Slap a couple of # signs around that and we have: ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}##

If you reply to this post, you can see all of my little rendering tricks. Except for the embedded quote anyway. Nested quotes do not go into your editting buffer when replying.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Bystander