How to Use Newton's Laws to Solve a Sliding Ramp Problem

In summary: This is a very long process, but it is doable.In summary, the package A slides down the ramp for 2 seconds. The weight and coefficient of friction are the only factors affecting the speed and time.
ningaman129

Homework Statement

Two packages at UPS start sliding down a 20 degree ramp. Package A has a mass of 5.0kg and a coefficient of friction of .20. Package B has a mass of 10kg and a coefficient of friction of .15. How long does it take package A to reach the bottom? The package are positioned next to each other on the ramp, and the distance from package A to the bottom is 2.0m.

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law equations.
[tex]\sum[/tex] (FnetA)x=mAaX

[tex]\sum[/tex] (FnetA)y=mAaY

[tex]\sum[/tex] (FnetB)x=mBaX

[tex]\sum[/tex] (FnetB)y=mBaY

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this by putting the horizontal and vertical components in their respective places, but that didn't get me that far, or at least I don't think so. For both y-components of the net force n=mAgcos(20) and n=mBgsin(20), well at least I think so. really I'm not quite sure if I am going in the right direction because I don't know how I am going to solve for time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you guys done the conservation of energy theorem yet in class?

If so, you can find this by realizing that U1 + K1 + W = U2 + K2

no I don't think we covered that yet.

Solving for time is no problem because you know that package A was moving under uniform acceleration, and you know what distance it travelled. There is a simple kinematics formula that applies to motion under constant acceleration.

Of course, you need to calculate what that acceleration *is*. I think that the slightly tricky part of this problem is (if I am interpreting the problem correctly) the fact that the two packages are in contact, meaning that the net force on package A in the "down the ramp" direction depends on three things: its weight, friciton, and the contact force from package B pushing on it.

The problem says that the packages are "next to each other", but seems to left implicit that they are in contact. Also, it lefts implicit that package A is closer to the end of the ramp than package B.
If I understood the problem correctly, it is necessary to see whether packages A and B will be always next to each other during the motion (if they weren't, then you could simply treat the problem as if package A was alone). Since B's mass is bigger, its weight is bigger, so it would move faster if it were alone in the ramp; so they will be always next to each other during the motion.
I would solve this problem this way: first, I would draw a sketch of the situation, a free-body diagram representing all the forces acting on package A (four forces: weight, friction, contact force from package B pushing on it --as cepheid said--, and the normal force that the ramp exerts on the package -which has the same direction and opposite orientation to one component of the weight).
Secondly, I would decompose weight, "cancel" what needs to be canceled and see what is the net force. Then, find the acceleration and, since I have distance and acceleration, find the time.

Related to How to Use Newton's Laws to Solve a Sliding Ramp Problem

What is Newton's Third Law problem?

Newton's Third Law problem refers to the principle of action and reaction, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that whenever an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal but opposite force back on the first object.

How is Newton's Third Law applied in real-life situations?

Newton's Third Law can be seen in everyday situations such as walking, where the ground exerts an equal and opposite force on our feet as we push off it. It is also evident in sports like kicking a ball, where the force exerted on the ball causes it to move in the opposite direction.

Can Newton's Third Law be observed in space?

Yes, Newton's Third Law applies in space as well. For example, when a rocket engine expels hot gases in one direction, the rocket is propelled in the opposite direction due to the equal and opposite reaction force.

What happens when the forces in Newton's Third Law are unbalanced?

When the forces in Newton's Third Law are unbalanced, the objects will accelerate in the direction of the larger force. This is because the net force acting on the objects is not equal to zero, causing them to move in the direction of the larger force.

How does Newton's Third Law relate to the conservation of momentum?

Newton's Third Law is closely related to the conservation of momentum. In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant, as the forces between objects are always equal and opposite. This means that the momentum gained by one object is equal to the momentum lost by the other object.