How to tune two different PID controllers in a same model?

• Thread starter Gauzi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model Pid
It would be helpful to see the block diagrams of the individual systems and how they were combined. This could provide insight into where the issue may be and how to properly tune the PID controllers for the combined model. In summary, the speaker is working on creating an adaptive cruise controller for a car model and has divided the task into two parts: a speed following model and a distance following model, each with a tuned PID controller. However, when the two models are combined, the ACC model is not working properly. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to properly tune the PID controllers and is asked to provide block diagrams of the individual systems and how they were combined for further assistance.
Gauzi
My target is to make a Adaptive cruise controller(ACC) for a car model. So i divided the task into two parts, first--- I made a speed following model, tuned a PID controller for it.
Second---- I made a distance following model, tuned a PID for this.
Now i integrated the two models into a single model so that i could switch between Distance follower or speed follower based on distance between the car under consideration and the car ahead of it. My problem is individually the two controller models work fine, but when i combined these two models to get a total ACC model, its no more working, can someone please guide me as to what might be wrong, or how to tune PID's in this model.?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
can you show us block diagrams of the 2 systems independently and how you combined them?

It sounds like you might have coupled the 2 systems in some way

Related to How to tune two different PID controllers in a same model?

1. How do I determine the appropriate values for the PID parameters for each controller?

The best way to determine the appropriate values for the PID parameters is through experimentation and trial-and-error. Start with a conservative approach by setting the proportional, integral, and derivative gains to small values and gradually increase them until the desired response is achieved.

2. Can I use the same PID values for both controllers?

No, each controller will likely require different PID values to achieve optimal performance. This is because the dynamics and characteristics of the system being controlled may differ between the two controllers.

3. Is it better to tune the controllers separately or simultaneously?

It is recommended to tune the controllers separately, as tuning them simultaneously can lead to complex and potentially unstable interactions between the two controllers.

4. What is the best method for tuning two PID controllers in the same model?

The best method for tuning two PID controllers in the same model is to use a step response test. This involves inputting a step change in the setpoint or disturbance and observing the response of both controllers. From this, the PID parameters can be adjusted accordingly to achieve the desired response.

5. How do I ensure that the two controllers do not interfere with each other?

To prevent interference between the two controllers, it is important to properly design and implement the control architecture. This can include implementing decoupling techniques or using a higher-level supervisory controller to coordinate the actions of the two PID controllers.