How to titrate compound contains butanoic and phosphoric aci

• Thread starter Rahulmkotkar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about titrating a compound containing both butanoic and phosphoric acid, and how to calculate the assay of the compound. It is mentioned that all titrations and calculations are based on stoichiometry, but without knowing the pKa of the involved groups, it is impossible to predict the neutralization stoichiometry. The person asking the question also mentions wanting to use 0.1 N NaOH for the titration, but it is not clear how many endpoints should be expected without knowing the pKa values.
Rahulmkotkar
How to titrate compound contains both function group butanoic and phosphoric acid? How much peak we expect if we titrate it with NaOH? How to calculate assay of that compound.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
All titrations and all titration calculations are based on stoichiometry. Not knowing pKa of involved groups (you wrote "compound containing functional groups", so I assume it is not a mixture) it is impossible to predict neutralization stoichiometry.

No idea what peak you are talking about - no peaks in titration (unless you refer to some method of endpoint detection).

Thanks Borek, I want to do assay by titration of one of the pharmaceutical compound contains both these function group ( phosporic acid and butanoic acid). Can i go for titration with 0.1 N NaOH, and how many end point i should expect?

Rahulmkotkar said:
and how many end point i should expect?

I already told you:

Borek said:
Not knowing pKa of involved groups (...) it is impossible to predict neutralization stoichiometry.

Related to How to titrate compound contains butanoic and phosphoric aci

1. What is titration and why is it used to analyze compounds containing butanoic and phosphoric acid?

Titration is a common laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It involves adding a known amount of a reagent (called the titrant) to a solution containing the substance of interest until a chemical reaction occurs. Titration is useful for analyzing compounds containing butanoic and phosphoric acid because it allows us to accurately measure their concentrations and determine their chemical properties.

2. What are the steps involved in titrating a compound containing butanoic and phosphoric acid?

The first step is to prepare the solution of the compound in a flask or beaker. Then, a small amount of an indicator (a substance that changes color when a reaction occurs) is added to the solution. Next, a burette is filled with the titrant and slowly added to the solution until the indicator changes color. The volume of titrant used is recorded, and this can be used to calculate the concentration of the compound.

3. What is the purpose of using an indicator in titration of compounds containing butanoic and phosphoric acid?

An indicator is used to signal when the reaction between the compound and the titrant is complete. It changes color at the endpoint of the reaction, indicating that all of the compound has been consumed. This allows for accurate measurement of the volume of titrant used, which is necessary for calculating the compound's concentration.

4. What are some common examples of titrants used for compounds containing butanoic and phosphoric acid?

Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is a commonly used titrant for compounds containing butanoic acid. This is because butanoic acid is a weak acid and reacts completely with a strong base like NaOH. For compounds containing phosphoric acid, sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide (KOH) can be used as titrants. Other titrants, such as hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sulfuric acid (H2SO4), can also be used depending on the specific compound being analyzed.

5. How can the results of titration be used to calculate the concentration of a compound containing butanoic and phosphoric acid?

The volume of titrant used and the known concentration of the titrant can be used to calculate the concentration of the compound using the formula: concentration = volume of titrant used / volume of compound solution. For example, if 25 mL of 0.1M NaOH is used to titrate a solution containing butanoic acid, the concentration of the butanoic acid can be calculated as 0.1M x (25 mL / volume of compound solution).