How to test the creep deformation of polymer

In summary, creep deformation in polymers is the gradual and permanent change in shape or size of a polymer under constant stress or load. It can be measured by applying a constant load and measuring the change in length or strain of the polymer. Factors such as temperature, time, load, and polymer type can affect creep deformation. Methods such as tensile testing, compression testing, and bending testing are used to test creep deformation. This information is important for understanding the material properties and performance of polymers in various applications, such as in engineering, automotive, and medical industries.
Levy zhu
Dear all, I am Levy , I am glade to take part into physics Forums, I hope I can share my know with everybody and study from you, Thank You!

I test the PET of creep deformation recent days, who has some reference about this aspect.

Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you checked the literature?

Certainly, I have looked for some documents about the creep deformation, but no methods for the cord of polyester.

You missed ASTM D2990?

for your interest in studying the creep deformation of polymer. There are several methods that can be used to test this phenomenon, depending on the specific properties and characteristics of the polymer you are working with. Some common techniques include tensile testing, creep testing, and dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA).

Tensile testing involves applying a constant load to a polymer sample and measuring the resulting deformation over time. This can provide information about the material's creep behavior under a specific load and temperature.

Creep testing, on the other hand, involves applying a constant load for a longer period of time and measuring the resulting deformation. This can provide information about the material's long-term creep behavior and its resistance to deformation over time.

DMA is a more advanced technique that involves subjecting a polymer sample to a range of loads and frequencies to analyze its viscoelastic properties, including creep behavior. This method can provide more detailed information about the material's behavior under different conditions and can be useful for studying the effects of temperature and humidity on creep deformation.

It is important to carefully select the appropriate testing method based on the specific properties and application of your polymer. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult published research and literature for reference and guidance in conducting your experiments. I wish you success in your studies and welcome any further discussions on this topic. Thank you.

Related to How to test the creep deformation of polymer

1. What is creep deformation in polymers?

Creep deformation is the gradual and permanent change in shape or size of a polymer under constant stress or load. This can result in the polymer stretching or elongating over time.

2. How do you measure creep deformation in polymers?

To measure creep deformation, a constant load or stress is applied to the polymer for a specific amount of time. The change in length or strain of the polymer is then measured and compared to its original dimensions.

3. What factors can affect the creep deformation of polymers?

The creep deformation of polymers can be affected by various factors such as temperature, time, load, and the type of polymer. Higher temperatures and longer durations of stress can result in increased creep deformation.

4. What are the methods used to test creep deformation in polymers?

There are several methods used to test creep deformation in polymers, including tensile testing, compression testing, and bending testing. These methods involve applying a constant stress or load to the polymer and measuring its deformation over time.

5. What are the applications of testing creep deformation in polymers?

Testing creep deformation in polymers is important for understanding the material properties and performance of polymers in various applications. This information can be used in designing and selecting suitable polymers for specific purposes, such as in engineering and construction, automotive and aerospace industries, and medical devices.