How to Solve Optimization Problems with Multiple Variables and Constraints?

• Thread starter Inertigratus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, optimization is the process of finding the best solution to a problem and making the most efficient use of resources. There are various methods of optimization, such as linear programming and genetic algorithms, which are used in science to improve systems and solve complex problems. The steps involved in an optimization process include identifying the problem, setting objectives and constraints, choosing a method, analyzing data, and implementing and evaluating the solution. Some common challenges in optimization include balancing multiple objectives, dealing with complex data, and considering real-world constraints.
Inertigratus
Well, I'm having trouble doing optimization problems (maximizing and/or minimizing a function in more then one variable with/without constraints).

Would be a great help if someone could give me some good links on this topic or some methods generally.

If the domain is compact; where are the points that could possibly maximize/minimize the function?
Is it either points that satisfy the equation [itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]f = 0[/itex] and points on the boundary?
In one problem I did, the point that maximized the function didn't satisfy [itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]f = 0[/itex], how come?

How do I examine the boundary? if the domain is defined by an inequality and the equality corresponds to the boundary, do I just solve for either variable and plug into the original equation? What if it's a three variable function?

If the domain isn't compact, and both x and y go from 0 to infinity, what do I do then?

Physics news on Phys.org
For example if I want to find the optima on the boundary of (if they exist): [itex]f(x, y) = (x^2 + y)e^{-x-y}[/itex] and:
[itex]0 \leq x \leq \infty , 0 \leq y \leq \infty[/itex]
I can check when either variable is 0, what else can I do?

Inertigratus said:
Well, I'm having trouble doing optimization problems (maximizing and/or minimizing a function in more then one variable with/without constraints).

Would be a great help if someone could give me some good links on this topic or some methods generally.

If the domain is compact; where are the points that could possibly maximize/minimize the function?
Is it either points that satisfy the equation [itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]f = 0[/itex] and points on the boundary?
Yes, either a point in the interior such that [itex]\nabla f= 0[/itex] or a point on the boundary.

In one problem I did, the point that maximized the function didn't satisfy [itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]f = 0[/itex], how come?
Then it must have been a point on the boundary.

How do I examine the boundary? if the domain is defined by an inequality and the equality corresponds to the boundary, do I just solve for either variable and plug into the original equation? What if it's a three variable function?
If the original domain is n-dimensional, then its boundary is n-1 dimensional. You should be able to write the boundary in terms of n-1 parameters (possibly by solving the equation for the boundary for one of the variables in terms of the remaining n-1 variables). Then solve the n-1 dimensional problem, including looking at its boundary.

If the domain isn't compact, and both x and y go from 0 to infinity, what do I do then?
Then there may not be a max or min. Go ahead and find what local max and min you have, compare to what happens as x and y go to infinity.

Inertigratus said:
For example if I want to find the optima on the boundary of (if they exist): [itex]f(x, y) = (x^2 + y)e^{-x-y}[/itex] and:
[itex]0 \leq x \leq \infty , 0 \leq y \leq \infty[/itex]
I can check when either variable is 0, what else can I do?
Yes, the boundary consists of the lines x= 0 and y= 0. On x= 0, [/itex]f(0, y)= ye^{-y}[itex]. [itex]f'= e^{-y}- ye^{-y}= 0[/itex] when y= 1. Similarly, on y= 0, [itex]f(x, 0)= x^2e^{-x}[/itex]. [itex]f'= 2xe^{-x}- x^2e^{-x}= 0[/itex] when x= 0 or x= 2. Possible max and min are at (0, 1), (0, 0), and (2, 0). To determine if they are global max or min, compare the value of the function at those points with points where [itex]\nabla f= 0[/itex] and the limits as x and y go to infinity.

Related to How to Solve Optimization Problems with Multiple Variables and Constraints?

What is optimization and why is it important?

Optimization is the process of finding the best possible solution to a problem or situation. It is important because it allows us to make the most efficient use of resources and achieve the best results.

What are the different methods of optimization?

There are several methods of optimization, including linear programming, dynamic programming, genetic algorithms, and simulated annealing. Each method has its own strengths and weaknesses and is suited for different types of problems.

How is optimization used in science?

Optimization is used in many areas of science, including engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to design more efficient systems, find the best solutions to complex problems, and improve processes and procedures.

What are the steps involved in an optimization process?

The steps involved in an optimization process typically include identifying the problem, setting objectives and constraints, choosing an appropriate method, collecting and analyzing data, and implementing and evaluating the solution.

What are some common challenges in optimization?

Some common challenges in optimization include finding the right balance between multiple objectives, dealing with complex and uncertain data, and considering real-world constraints and limitations. It is important to carefully consider these factors in order to achieve an effective and practical solution.